West Rome was located at 2510 Redmond Circle. A Sam's Club now sits in the general area where West Rome High School once stood. West Rome Jr. High was located where the West Rome Walmart stands now. In the beginning, West Rome was an all white school. It was later integrated in the early 1970s.
The West Rome Chieftains won five state titles and thirteen regional titles. Four of the state championships were won consecutively from 1982 to 1985 setting a state record. That state record was tied in 2010 by Buford High School. The Chieftains had thirty five first team all state players and sixty all state players. Three West Rome players later played in the NFL, including Eric Floyd.
- ↑ Scott, Robin L. (2001). Rome, Georgia in Vintage Postcards. Arcadia Publishing. p. 73. ISBN 978-0-7385-1407-9.
- ↑ "East Rome High School reunion full of ‘Gladiator spirit’". Rome News-Tribune. August 2009. http://www.rn-t.com/view/full_story/3130971/article-East-Rome-High-School-reunion-full-of-%E2%80%98Gladiator-spirit%E2%80%99. Retrieved October 13, 2010.
- ↑ Michael Carvell, "West Rome ‘remembered’ — as Buford ties historic record of four state football championships in a row", Atlanta Journal-Constitution, December 14, 2010.
- ↑ All-State Players at West Rome at Georgia High School Football Historians Association (accessed 2012-06-24).
- ↑ West Rome players in the NFL at at Georgia High School Football Historians Association (accessed 2012-06-24).
- ↑ Paul Marks, "Eric Floyd rings-in Auburn New Year", Rome News-Tribune, December 28, 1987.
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article West Rome High School, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.