VALO-CD is a distribution of open source software on a CD for Microsoft Windows. VALO-CD aims to spread knowledge and use of open source software. VALO-CD originates from Finland and was originally available only in Finnish. Since version 7 an international version of VALO-CD has also been available in English.
Acronym VALO means Free/Libre Open Source Software in Finnish. "Valo" is also a Finnish word that means light. Therefore the name of the project has a connotation of bringing enlightenment. The Finnish version of VALO-CD had the special goal of concentrating on completely localized open source software.
The project was started in 2008 and the goals are to support technological and economical development in Finland.
Version 8 of VALO-CD includes the following software:
- Writing and drawing: Dia, GIMP, Inkscape, LibreOffice, and Scribus.
- Internet: Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin, Vuze, and WinSCP.
- Recreation: Stellarium, and Tux Paint.
- Multimedia: Audacity, MuseScore and VLC media player.
- Tools: 7-Zip, Evince, InfraRecorder, KeePass, Notepad++, PDFCreator, SumatraPDF, and TrueCrypt.
- Guides: Various user guides by FLOSS Manuals.
- ↑ Eighth edition of Finnish CD to promote open source. Joinup (2012-02-28). Retrieved on 2012-05-13.
- ↑ Now in English: VALO-CD Open Source Software Collection. Slashdot (2012-03-03). Retrieved on 2012-05-13.
- ↑ VALO-CD Now Available in English: Makes Installing Free and Open Source Software Easier Than Ever for Windows Users. Yahoo News (2012-02-24). Retrieved on 2012-05-13.
- ↑ Uusi Valo-CD esittelee Adoben korvikkeita. Digitoday (2010-09-24). Retrieved on 2011-10-09.
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article VALO-CD, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.