UFC 7: The Brawl in Buffalo was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on September 8, 1995, at the Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo, New York. The event was seen live on pay per view in the United States, and later released on home video.
UFC 7 featured an eight-man tournament, a UFC Superfight Championship match between reigning UFC Champion Ken Shamrock and UFC 6 tournament winner Oleg Taktarov, and three alternate fights, which were not shown on the live pay-per-view broadcast. The tournament had no weight classes, or weight limits. Each match had no rounds, but a 20 minute time limit was imposed for the quarterfinal and semi-final round matches in the tournament. The finals of the tournament and the Superfight had a 30 minute time limit and, if necessary, a five minute overtime.
Consistent with early UFC events, the time limit was not followed as the Superfight only featured a three minute overtime, perhaps due to pay-per-view time constraints. Regardless of this, the show ran over its three hour pay-per-view slot, cutting off some viewers from seeing the final match. The referee for the main card was 'Big' John McCarthy. Michael Buffer served as the guest ring announcer for the night.
Michael Buffer mistakenly announced that Buffalo Memorial Auditorium was the home of the Buffalo Bills. He obviously meant to say the Buffalo Sabres.
- Sutton defeated Kalman via TKO (cut) at 0:48.
- Onassis Parungao vs. Francesco Maturi
- Parungao defeated Maturi via submission (strikes) at 5:26.
- Bessac defeated Hood via submission (guillotine choke) at 0:31.
- Paul Varelans vs. Gerry Harris
- Varelans defeated Harris via submission (elbows) at 1:15.
- Mark Hall vs. Harold Howard
- Hall defeated Howard via submission (strikes) at 1:41.
- Pardoel defeated Parker via submission (lapel choke) at 3:05.
- Marco Ruas vs. Larry Cureton
- Ruas defeated Cureton via submission (heel hook) at 3:23.
- Paul Varelans vs. Mark Hall
- Varelans defeated Hall via submission (keylock) at 1:01.
- Marco Ruas vs. Remco Pardoel
- Ruas defeated Pardoel via submission (position) at 12:27.
- Ruas defeated Varelans via TKO (strikes) at 13:17 to win the UFC 7 Tournament.
- Shamrock and Taktarov fought to a draw after 33:00 because there were no judges, despite a one sided performance by Shamrock. Shamrock retains the UFC Superfight Championship. This fight would spark the UFC to appoint ringside judges at the next event to declare a winner for fights that did not end in a knockout or submission.
UFC 7 bracket
- ↑ The 'ALL-NEW' UFC and the new revisionism: a critique of 'LOVE TAPS' ESPN MAGAZINE article. Onzuka.com (2002-02-15). Archived from the original on 2011-08-24. Retrieved on 2011-08-24.
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article UFC 7, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.