|The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for events. (May 2012)|
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (May 2012)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012)|
UFC 30: Battle on the Boardwalk was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, New Jersey on February 23, 2001. UFC 30 was also the first UFC event since UFC 22 to see a home video release.
The card was headlined by two Title Bouts, a Middleweight Championship Bout between Tito Ortiz and Evan Tanner, and the first UFC Bantamweight Championship Bout between Jens Pulver and Caol Uno. Following UFC 31, Bantamweight was renamed "Lightweight" under the new Unified Rules of Combat, defined by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Bantamweight fighters would not again appear in the UFC until after the UFC-WEC merger in 2011. The event featured the first UFC appearances of Phil Baroni, Sean Sherk and Elvis Sinosic.
UFC 30 marked a major turning point for the UFC, as it was the first UFC event held by new owners Zuffa LLC. Headed by Station Casinos owners Frank and Lorenzo Ferttita, and managed by Dana White, Zuffa acquired the UFC in January 2001 from former owners SEG, who were on the brink of bankruptcy.
One notable change instituted by Zuffa was allowing the championship bout fighters to choose their own entry music in lieu of the standard fare UFC theme song, but that change was not implemented at UFC 30.
- Sherk wins by verbal submission (dislocated shoulder) at 4:47 of the second round.
- Baroni wins by unanimous decision at 10:00.
- Heavyweight bout: Bobby Hoffman vs. Mark Robinson
- Hoffman wins by KO (elbow) at 1:27 of the first round. Hoffman was tested positive for illegal substances and the bout was therefore ruled a 'no contest'.
- Rizzo wins by KO (punches) at 4:19 of the second round.
- Sinosic wins by submission (triangle armbar) at 2:52 of the first round.
- Iha wins by submission (armbar) at 1:38 of the first round.
- Pulver wins by majority decision at 25:00.
- Ortiz wins by KO (slam) at 0:30 of the first round.
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article UFC 30, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.