|The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for events. (May 2012)|
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (May 2012)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012)|
UFC 16: Battle in the Bayou was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on March 13, 1998 in New Orleans, Louisiana. The event was seen live on pay per view in the United States, and later released on home video.
UFC 16 featured the first ever UFC Lightweight tournament (for fighters under 170 lb), as well as a Middleweight Championship bout, a Heavyweight and a Middleweight Superfight, and two alternate bouts in case of tournament injury.
The Middleweight Championship bout, was billed to be champion Frank Shamrock's biggest test, in Battlecade star, Igor Zinoviev. This would end up being the final match of Zinoviev's career, as he suffered a career-ending collarbone injury from Shamrock's victorious KO slam.
Kimo Leopoldo returned to the UFC at UFC 16 and fought top Japanese fighter Tsuyoshi Kohsaka. Kimo dominated the first portion of the fight but began to fatigue and eventually lost the fight by decision. He did not carry the cross into the ring this time like he did at UFC 3.
- Clark defeated Stewart via TKO (punches) at 1:15.
- Lightweight Tournament Alternate bout: Chris Brennan vs. Courtney Turner
- Brennan defeated Turner via submission (armbar) at 1:20.
- Lightweight Tournament Semifinals: Mikey Burnett vs. Eugenio Tadeu
- Burnett defeated Tadeu via TKO (punches) at 9:46. Burnett had to withdraw from the tournament due to a broken finger suffered during this bout.
- Miletich defeated Saunders via split decision at 15:00.
- Bohlander defeated Jackson via technical submission (armbar) at 10:21. (Jackson refused to tap, referee John McCarthy stopped the fight)
- Miletich defeated Brennan via submission (choke) at 9:01 to win the UFC 16 Lightweight Tournament. (Mikey Burnett withdrew from the tournament due to a broken finger and was replaced by Brennan.)
- Kosaka defeated Leopoldo via unanimous decision at 15:00.
- Shamrock defeated Zinoviev via KO (slam) at 0:22 to retain the UFC Middleweight Championship.
UFC 16 Lightweight Tournament Bracket
1 Mikey Burnett withdrew from the tournament due to a broken finger and was replaced by Chris Brennan.
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article UFC 16, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.