| Roy C. Start High School|
Start High School
| 2010 Tremainsville Road|
Toledo, Ohio, (Lucas County), 43613
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Toledo City School District|
|Superintendent||Dr. Jerome Pecko|
|Color(s)||Green & White |
|Athletics conference||Toledo City League|
|Accreditation(s)||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Athletic Director||Jan Dermer|
Roy C. Start High School is a public high school in West Toledo, Ohio, United States. The school opened in 1962 and is part of the Toledo Public Schools. It was named after Roy C. Start, two-time mayor of Toledo and founder of the West Toledo YMCA. The school building was recently demolished and a new building is now in place. Students have been attending the new Start since the new semester in January 2008. The only part of the original Roy C. Start High School building in use is the auditorium (which is now in the West Toledo YMCA building) and is attached to the new building. Although Start is a public school, students are required to adhere to a dress code during the school day. (tan, brown, blue, or black pants with any solid colored collared shirt)
Start's baseball team, led by longtime head coach Rich Arbinger, Start baseball has 2 state championships in the last twenty years (1994, 2000). In 1994 Start finished a 31-0 season with the school's first state title, and was named national champion. The 2000 team went 25-3 and added a second state crown. The Spartans lost in the big-school finals in 1987,1997 and 2005, and also reached the state semifinals in 1993 and 1995.
In the decade of the 1990s alone, Start posted a 260-34 mark that was unmatched among Ohio high schools over that span. During that period the Spartans have regularly been ranked in USA Today's national top-25.
Coach Rich Arbinger was elected into the Ohio High School Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 1993. In 2007, the baseball diamond at Bowman Park in Toledo was officially renamed "Rich Arbinger Field" 
From its opening until 1991, Start had a rivalry with the DeVilbiss Tigers, which were located in the same neighborhood and a very short distance south of Start. When DeVilbiss closed, much of its school district was absorbed by Start after a community effort urging TPS to merge Start into DeVilbiss had failed.
Start's main and long-standing rivals are the Whitmer Panthers, located less than two miles away on Tremainsville Road. The "Battle of Tremainsville" was a non-conference matchup from Start's inception in the early 1960s until Whitmer joined the City League in 2003. Beginning with the 2011-12 school year, it will revert back to a non-league matchup when Whitmer joins the new Three Rivers Athletic Conference.
Clubs and organizations
Roy C. Start has a large number of clubs. Some of those clubs are:
- Russian Club - many students have competed and received medals by competing in the National Russian Essay Competition and the
Ohio Spoken Olympiada.
- Red Cross Club
- Youth 2 Youth
- Z Club
- German Club
- Chess Club
- Euchre Club
- Latin Club - functions as a local chapter of both the Ohio Junior Classical League (OJCL) and National Junior Classical League (NJCL).
- Math Club
- Quiz Bowl
- Art Club
- Be the Change
- French Club
- Science Olympiad
- Anime Club
- Business Professionals of America Club
Start Collegiate Athletes
In 2009, Start had three graduating seniors go on to pursue Division 1 college athletics.
- Devin Russell- The University of Toledo (Basketball)
- Yolanda Richardson- The University of Toledo (Basketball)
- Paiton Twitty- The University of Akron (Volleyball)
Other Notable Start Alumni
- Kent Smith - NFL (Oakland Raiders, 2006)
- Doug Whatmore- (Indiana University Baseball, 1987-1991)
- Greg Finnegan- (Cornell University Football, 1988-1991)
- Airron Richardson- (University of Michigan Wrestling, 1994-1998, two-time NCAA All-American, Olympic alternate)
- Devin Vargas- (Boxing, 2004 Olympian)
- Stacey Nadolny- (Cornell University Track and Field, 2002-2005, four-time Ivy League discus champion)
- Kim Jameson- (Bowling Green State University Track and Field, 1981-1984)
- Theresa Mariea- (University of Toledo Track and Field, Cross Country, 1995-1999)
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
Toledo City League Titles
- Football: 1978
- Boys Cross Country: 2012
- Girls Cross Country: 2011
- Boys Basketball: 1978-79, 1996–97
- Girls Basketball: 2010-11
- Boys Track and Field: 1991
- Girls Track and Field: 1973, 1974, 1975
- Girls Soccer:
- boys Soccer:
(years marked with an asterisk (*) denote a shared title)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 OHSAA. Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory. Retrieved on 2010-04-02.
- ↑ NCA-CASI. NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement. Retrieved on 2010-04-02.[dead link]
- ↑ ToledoBlade.com
- ↑ jjhuddle.com
- ↑ Krauth, Laurie (January 11, 1991). Frenzied supporters argue to keep schools. Toledo Blade. Retrieved on February 2, 2011.
- ↑ Executive Board Pre-File Application. OhioJCL.org - June 2007. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine (2010). Archived from the original on June 17, 2007. Retrieved on August 16, 2010.
- ↑ OJCL Constitution. OhioJCL.org - July 2002. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine (2010). Archived from the original on July 21, 2002. Retrieved on August 16, 2010. “... by paying both OJCL annual chapter dues and any annual chapter membership dues required by NJCL.”
- ↑ Yappi. Yappi Sports Baseball. Retrieved on 2007-02-12.
- ↑ OHSAA. Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site. Retrieved on 2006-12-31.
- Toledo Public Schools
- Start Spartan Football Site [www.StartSpartans.net]
- Start Tech Club site [www.starttech.club.officelive.com]
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Start High School (Toledo, Ohio), that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.