|This article needs improvement which may include extra references, copyediting and updating.|
Architect Soumyendu Shankar Ray was born in 1961 in Bhadrak, a small town of Orissa as the sixth son of well known Oriya writer Prof. Sudhansu sekhar Ray. He earned his B.Arch. degree in architecture from Sir J.J. college of Architecture , university of Roorkee and Masters in Architecture from Roorkee University (presently I.I.T., Roorkee)
He got actively involved in architecture practice and has many prestigious projects to his credit. Prior to super-cyclone, orissa, 1999, in technical collaboration with Prof. Dr. Lackner and Partners, he built 26 shelters in coastal districts of Orissa, which saved 50,000 lives during the Super-cyclone.
He assumed the post of chairman, Indian institute of architects, Orissa for two terms; 2004-06 and 2006-08.
He has published many papers, conducted many workshops and is actively involved in architectural research. In 1993 he developed ‘SSR model’ for post-occupational evaluation of buildings.
|1||Name||Ar. Soumyendu Shankar Ray|
|2||Associates with the firm since||1985|
|3||Date of Birth||10.10.1961|
1993 Master of Architecture, University of Roorkee, Roorkee( 1st class honours) 1985 Bachelor of Architecture, Sir J.J. College of Architecture university of Bombay ( Honours ) 1979 Intermediate Science, Utkal University ( 1st Division ) 1978 Pre University Examination, Utkal University ( 1st Division) 1977 Matriculation, Board of Secondary Education, Cuttack Orissa ( 1st division)
- Summer/winter schools and short term courses attended:
1996 Short term course on ‘Total Quality, Management in Technical Education’ at college of Engineering and Technology, Bhubaneswar. 1995 Indian Society of Technology Education chapter level training Programme on ‘performance appraisal and Development system in Technical Institutions’ at college of Engg. & Tech., Bhubaneswar 1994 Winter school on ‘Wind flow effects around built forms’ at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagapur. 1994 Course on ‘Computation, Preparedness and Management of natural Disaster’ at college of Eng. & Tech., Bhubaneswar. 1988 Short term course of ‘ Pedagogy in Architecture’ at Visvesvaraya Regional college of Engineering, Nagpur. 1987 Short term course on ‘Urban public transport planning, operation and management’ at the Univeristy of Roorkee, Roorkee. 1987 Part time course on ‘ Computer appreciation and Programming’ at College of Engg. And Tech. OUAT, Bhubaneswar.
Member of Professional Organisations:
Fellow Indian Institute of Architects and joints Secretary, Orissa Chapter ( No.9069) Registration member Council of Architecture, New Delhi( No.CA/10,321/86) Member Indian national Trust for Art and Culture Heritage ( INTACH) Member Patron Regional Science Association, India. Patron Indian Red Cross Society, Orissa
2004 Felicitated by ISTE, Orissa Section for contribution to Architecture and Planning 2004 Felicitated by KIIT university for excellence in Architecture 2001 Felicitated by the Times of India Relief Fund for post-cyclone reconstruction of Orissa. 2000 Certificate of appreciation by the Indian Institute of Architects for Outstanding contribution during the year 2000 at the national convention, Calcutta., December, 2000 1992-1993 Quality Improvement programme fellow sponsored by Ministry of Human Resources at University of Roorkee. 1991 Common wealth fellowship for studies in conservation Techniques at U.K. ( not joined ) 1981-1985 Direct Technical Educational Fellowship 1977-1985 National merit Scholarship
7. Professional Work experience:
1985 November Proprietor and Principal Architect, Vastukar 1985 July to November Assistant Architect with Gananth Shetty Architects, 31/10, Vinaparcastles, Dr. Pereira Road, Bandra ( west Bombay )
8. Professional Achievements
2004-08 Worked as chairman ,Indian Institute of Architects, Orissa Chapter 1986 till date Paper setter, examiner for 18 architecture colleges. 2003 till date Acted as Design Jury for several architectural competitions. 2000 till date Guided 123 B.Arch.thesis and 9 M.Arch. thesis 1993 Developed a model “ SSR MODEL” for post occupational evaluation of school buildings. 2003 till date Member Board of Studies: Utkal University, Biju Patnaik University, University of Culture and Andhra University 2003 till date Member, Board of Management KIIT university
9. Extra Curricular Activities:
1998 Patron, Indian Red cross Society 1991 Chairman, Youth Activities, Rotary Club, Bhubaneswar. 2001 Paul Harris Fellow
10. Interviews Published:
12th April’2001 Times of India , Page no.10 ‘A noble project for Me’ 1st March’2002 ‘Indian Express’ Page.no.5 ‘Interface: Architecture; new dimensions’ 8th May’2002 ‘Times of India’ Page.no.10 ‘Aesthetically we have tried to create a form which justifies heritage of the school.’ June’2003 Dishari( Times group publication on visionary entrepreneurs of Orissa Honorable mention 11th Feb’2006 Times of India Page.no.11 ‘Changing perceptions’ 21st April’2006 New Indian Express fortnightly supplement ‘Infocus’
11. Seminars/Conferences Organized:
1 Convenor, Young Architects Festivals’2002 2 Chairman, Organising Committee ‘ Role of Architects toward seismically safe Built environment’( as a part of continuing education programme of the Indian Institute of architects 17th April’2005, Hotel Crown, Bhubaneswar. 3 Co-ordinator, AICTE/ISTE short term training programme on ‘Appropriate technology for, Cyclone Resistant Buildings’ 20th-24th December’2004, Dept. of Architecture, college of Engg. & Tech. Bhubaneswar 4 Chairman, Organising Committee ‘ Design Carnival and the Interior show’2007, Bhubaneswar. 5 Chairman, Organising Committee ‘ Design Carnival and the Interior show’2008, Bhubaneswar.
12. Papers Published:
Journals/Seminars Title 4th Asian congress of Architects’1990 ‘Tribal Architecture and Environment’ Journal of Indian Institute of Architects March’1991 ‘Changing role of the Architect in society’ Indian Architects & Builders April’1991 ‘Attuned; Climate sensitive design and energy efficient building’ Journal of the Indian Institute of Architects September’1994 Performance Appraisal Models for school buildings. The Journal of The Indian Institute of Architects January’2009 KIIT School of Management at Bhubaneswar, Orissa
13. Professional Projects Undertaken ( enclosed in the Compendium)
- a. Rehabilitation
- Multipurpose Cyclone Shelter Programme, Orissa sponsored by German Red Cross.
- Multipurpose Cyclone Shelter Programme, Orissa sponsored by Spanish Red Cross
- Reconstruction of Schools by the Times of India Relief fund, Cuttack
- Reconstruction of Bentkar High School,Cuttack
- Reconstruction of Revenshaw Girls High School, Cuttack
- b. Campus Design and Planning
- Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences, Bhubaneswar
- Institute of Business Administration and Training, Bhubaneswar
- Kalinga International Public School, Bhubaneswar
- KIIT engineering campus, Bhubaneswar
- Convention center, KIIT University, Bhubaneswar
- Kalinga School for Rural Management,Bhubaneswar
- Faculty Block, KIIT University, Bhubaneswar
- Academic Block, Bhadrak Institute of Engineering and Technology, Bhadrak
- Asian School of Business Management, Hyderabad
- SOA University, Bhubaneswar
- INDIC Campus, Khurda
- Orissa School of Mining Engineering (Degree Stream), Keonjhargarh
- Vivekananda Institute of Technology and Science,Pitapalli, Bhubaneswar
- Canteen for Institute of Mineral and Material Technology, Bhubaneswar
- MahaVir Institute of Engineering and Technology, Gangapara,Bhubaneswar
- c. Healthcare facilities planning
- 600 bed Teaching Hospital for Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences, Bhubaneswar
- Expansion of King George Hospital, Visakhapatnam
- d. Housing
- Architect’s own house
- 1000 seated Mega Hostel for National Institute of T echnology, Rourkela
- Hostel for Institute of Business Administration and Training
- Staff housing for Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences,
- ‘Little Spain’ housing colony, Bhubaneswar
- ‘Elders Enclave’; senior citizens’ housing, Bhubaneswar
- Hostel block for Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences, Bhubaneswar
- e. Corporate Interiors
- Chintan Building at KIIT Campus, Bhubaneswar
- Chairman’s Lounge, SOA University
- f. Competition Entry
- POSCO training center, Paradeep
- Township for IFFCO, Paradeep
- Corporate building for Orissa Hydro Power Corporation.
- 1000 seated mega hostel for National Institute of Technology, KoziKhode
- Housing for National Institute of Technology, Rourkela.
- g. Revitalisation
- Front Façade for Institute of mineral and Material Technology, Bhubaneswar
- Revitalization of Diploma Block, KIIT University
- h. Civic Landscape/Tourism Projects
- Circuit tourism
- Rural tourism
I, the undersigned, certify that the bio-date describes in regard to my qualification, my experience and me are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief.
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Soumyendu Shankar Ray: Architect, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.