Mimi Denissi is a prominent force in the Greek theatre.
Mimi Denissi is a graduate of the American College of Greece , the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (School of Philosophy) and the Theodosiadis’ Drama School in Athens. She is fluent in four languages: English, Italian, French and German.
She is one of the most popular actresses in the Greek stage, as well as the most acclaimed translator of her generation, a major producer and theatre-owner, and the author of two extraordinarily popular historical dramas.
Mimi Denissi has produced, translated and starred in
- The last of Mrs Cheyney (Lonsdale),
- Julia (Show),
- Look Back in Anger (Osborn),
- The Real Thing (Stoppard),
- Amadeus (Schaffer),
- Black Comedy (Schaffer),
- Les Liaisons Dangereuses (Hampton),
- Cat among the pigeons (Feydau),
- Cactus Flower (Barrilet et Gredy),
- Philadelphia Story (Barry),
- Anna Karenina (after Tolstoy),
- Is’nt it Romantic (Wasserstein),
- Brief Encounter (Noel Coward),
- The King and I (Rogers and Hammerstein),
- Victor – Victoria (Blake Edouards),
- Funny Girl e.t.c
Her own plays “Theodora” and “Laskarina Bouboulina”, each played many sold-out seasons throughout the land and received awards for best play by writers society and Unesco (Theodora).
She has also produced and translated over 80 plays, for her own as well as for other companies like
- Bent (Sherman),
- Rose (Sherman),
- Oscar et la dame Rose (Schmith),
- They‘re playing our Song (Neil Simon),
- The star spangled girl (Neil Simon),
- Talking Cure (Hampton),
- Hotel Paradiso (Feydau),
- Stones in his pockets (Jones),
- War and Peace (Tolstoy),
- Noises off (Frayn),
- La Presidente (Heneken et Weber),
- The cherry orchard (Chekov),
- The Seagull (Chekov),
- Wild Honey (Chekov-Frayn),
- Cat a hot tin roof (Williams),
- The Roman spring of Mrs Stone (Williams),
- Tosca (Sardou)
- Saturday Sunday Monday (de Filippo),
- Social security (Bergman) e.t.c
She has been artistic director and producer for “Athina”, “Vretannia” and “Acropol” Theater (the biggest Greek theater). In 1999 the “Ilisia” Theatre was named after her Ilissia – Denissi and she directed its two stages for 12 years. As a producer she has worked with some of the top European directors, designers and musical directors. She has also hosted great international artists that presented their work in her theatre (Peter Brook, Michel Piccoli, Peter Stein, Olympia Doukakis, Patrice Cherreau, Tim Robbins e.t.c)
Mimi Denissi has also starred in over twenty five television series, ten films and her own talk shows on television, interviewing her guests in four languages. She has created her own Drama School “Central Stage”. Some of the best known Greek actors, directors, designers, are teaching in the school. Seminars include international artists such: Martin Sherman (For creative writing), Peter Brook leading actor Sautigi Kuyate (for Eastern techniques of acting), Olympia Dukakis (for acting in tragedy) Fiona Shaw (for tragedies).
She is dedicated to both exploring the riches of her Nation’s theatrical heritage and at the same time expanding its horizons as part of a wider international artistic community.
In 2009 she received one of the highest honors for a European artist, she was named Dame Chevalier by the French government and received the Legion d’ Honneur Medal for her career.
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Mimi Denissi, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.