|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. (January 2013)|
Mihai Grecu (born 28 April 1981 in Romania) – Romanian artist specializing in video art.
Artistic education acquired on University of Art and Design in Cluj-Napoca (Romania) and Ecole Supérieure des Arts Décoratifs in Strasburg (France). His first works began to show in Le Fresnoy - National Studio of Contemporary Arts. His most recognizable works are "coagualate", "Centipede Sun", "Iridium" and "Unlith".
Mihai Grecu addresses topics such as distress, cloning, hallucination, city life and war articulate the whole of his exploration of mysterious and subconscious beginnings. These visual and poetic trips, mix several techniques and styles may be seen as propositions for a new dream oriented technology.Alternating between video art, cinema, and 3D animation, his unique and disturbing vision shows parasitical objects passing through dehumanizing situations with a background of distorted architecture and symbolic characters. His work is frequently shown at expositions and festivals, and he has won acclaim internationally, such as a prize from the Rotterdam Film Festival.
- December 2008: Dans la nuit, des images, Grand Palais, Paris, France
- November 2008: gallery Art Claims Impulse, Berlin, curated by Pierre Wolter & Melanie Zagrean
- October 2008: Video Short List: The Dream Machine, Passage de Retz, Paris, curated by Jean-Luc Monterosso
- June 2008: Insomnies », Maison d'Art Bernard Anthonioz, Nogent, France
- June 2008: Panorama 9-10, Le Fresnoy, Tourcoing, curated by Bernard Blistène
- January 2008: Studio, Galerie Les filles du calvaire, Paris, curated by Madeleine van Doren
- June 2007: Panorama 8- présumés coupables, Le Fresnoy, Tourcoing, curated by Dominic Païni
- May 2007: Fbruary 2007 : Sous influences, ADN Galeria, Barcelona + Galerie Magda Danysz, Paris, curated by Carine Le Malet
- May 2006: Orcaille, collaboration with the Orpaille collective, Maison Rouge, Paris, France
- September 2005/January 2006: Labyrinth of my mind, Le Cube, Issy-les-Moulineaux(photos here), France, curated by Carine Le Malet
- July 2005: Speedforce at the ZKMax, Munich, Germany
Festivals and awards
- Ferbuary 2009: Clermont Ferrand Short Film Festival, Clermont-Ferrand, France
- January 2009: International Film Festival Rotterdam, Tiger Awards, The Netherlands
- November 2008: Festival du Nouveau Cinéma, Montréal, Canada
- October 2008: Oslo Screen Festival, Oslo, Norway, best video award for "coagulate"
- January 2008: International Film Festival Rotterdam, The Netherlands, honourable mention for "UNLITh"
- August 2007: Locarno International Film Festival, Locarno, Switzerland
- September 2007/2005: Videobrasil, Sao Paulo, Brasil
- April 2008/2005: European Media Art Festival, Osnabrück, Germany
- March 2008/2005: Vidéoformes, Clermont-Ferrand, France, first prize for "UNLITh"
- November 2006: Lausanne underground film festival, Switzerland,
- May 2005: International Media Award for Science and Art, ZKM/SWR, Karlsruhe, Germany
- April 2005: Filmfest Dresden, Germany
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Mihai grecu, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.