Manizhe Karimi (better known by her stage name Mandana Karimi), is an Iranian actress and model based in India. After working on several successful modelling projects around the world, she appeared as a lead actress in the Bollywood film, Bhaag Johnny. She was also the second runner up in the popular reality TV show, Bigg Boss 9. In 2016, Mandana participated Dance Ki Takkar 5.
Karimi was born in Tehran, Iran, into an Islamic family of mixed ethnicity. Her father, Reza Karimi, is an Indian and her mother, Saba Karimi, is an Iranian. She was raised in Tehran. She said in an interview, "I was born in a conservative Muslim family and while growing up, I was very shy and quiet. I studied art. I used to spend most of my time in my room playing around with papers, cameras and colours." About her Indian connection she commented, "I had come to India many times, visiting my family or for holidays. Also, when I started modelling, I got offers from India but was never interested." Being a Middle Eastern, she has reportedly seen a lot of conflict and emotional upheavals while growing up.
Karimi started her career as an air hostess, and later quit that job to pursue a career in modelling. In 2010, after working on various international modelling projects, she came to Mumbai for three months on a modelling contract. About her experience in India she said, "I had a different experience, staying without my family. I absolutely loved it! Work was great, but at that time, I had other contracts around the world. Then, in 2013, I decided to move to Mumbai and try acting."
In February 2015, she made a guest appearance in the film Roy. Later that year, in September, her movie Bhaag Johnny was released. She also appeared in the October 2015 film, Main Aur Charles, where she played the role of Charles Sobraj's assistant. Karimi's next film, Kyaa Kool Hain Hum 3, a sex comedy, was released on January 22, 2016.
Karimi was a contestant in reality TV show, Bigg Boss 9, where a group of celebrities from various walks of life live together in a large house. One of the contestants get eliminated every week, based on public votes. The show went on air in October 2015 on Colors. She was one of the third finalists of the season.
Karimi took part of the dance reality TV show, Dance Ki Takkar 5, where non celebrity dancers come along with their choreographers and perform every week. One of the contestants get eliminated every week, based on public votes. The show went on air in end October 2016 on Star Plus. She got eliminated in 1st week.
In an interview, Karimi said, "The first film that I watched was Sholay when I was 8 or 9 years old. My father was one of the few people in Iran who possessed a tape of the film, though the government didn't allow to keep video cassettes." She further commented, "Mainly, I've grown up watching Iranian films, especially by directors like Majid Majidi and favorite actress is Golshifteh Farahani."
In July 2016, Karimi got engaged to her boyfriend, Gaurav Gupta, an Indian businessman from Mumbai. The couple got married in court in early March, which was followed by a lavish wedding as per Hindu rituals in March 2017.
In July 2017, Karimi filed a domestic violence case against her husband Gaurav Gupta and his family at court.
|2015||Bhaag Johnny||Rachel D'costa|
|2015||Main Aur Charles||Liz|
|2016||Kyaa Kool Hain Hum 3||Shalu|
|2015–16||Bigg Boss 9||Herself||Third place - Day 105 (23 January 2016)|
|2016||Comedy Nights Live||Herself||Guest|
|2016||Dance Ki Takkar 5||Herself||Eliminated 1st week - 6 November 2016|
|2016||Bigg Boss 10||Herself||Guest|
- ↑ https://twitter.com/manizhe/status/710910004899872768
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 "'Bigg Boss 9': Iranian model Mandana Karimi married to work in India?". Emirates 24/7. October 19, 2015. http://www.emirates247.com/entertainment/bigg-boss-9-iranian-model-mandana-karimi-married-to-work-in-india-2015-10-19-1.607244. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Coutinho, Natasha (July 9, 2015). "Meet Ekta's 'discovery'". Deccan Chronicle. Archived from the original on 22 December 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20151222164108/http://www.deccanchronicle.com/150709/entertainment-bollywood/article/meet-ekta%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%98discovery%E2%80%99. Retrieved 7 November 2015. "I was born in Tehran in a conservative Muslim family..."
- ↑ Coutinho, Natasha (July 9, 2015). "Meet Ekta's 'discovery'". Deccan Chronicle. http://www.deccanchronicle.com/150709/entertainment-bollywood/article/meet-ekta%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%98discovery%E2%80%99. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Bhaag Johnny Actress Mandana Karimi Full EXCLUSIVE Interview. Bollywoodhungama.com on YouTube. Retrieved on 9 November 2015.
- ↑ "Mandana Karimi wants to promote Salman Khan's 'Being Human'". Zee Media Bureau. Zee Media Corporation Ltd. September 10, 2013. http://zeenews.india.com/entertainment/celebrity/mandana-karimi-wants-to-promote-salman-khans-being-human_142444.html. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- ↑ "Digangana, Keith Sequeira, Mandana Karimi, Prince: Some interesting facts about Bigg Boss 9 contestants". ABP Live. 12 October 2015. http://www.abplive.in/television/digangana-keith-sequeira-mandana-karimi-some-interesting-facts-about-bigg-boss-9-contestants-358?gallery-image=2. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- ↑ 7 Facts We Bet You Didn't Know About Mandana Karimi
- ↑ "‘Kyaa Kool Hain Hum 3’ released in January 22,2016". PTI. The Indian Express [P] Ltd.. Dec 11, 2015. http://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/bollywood/kyaa-kool-hain-hum-3-to-release-in-january-2016/. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- ↑ Mandana Karimi in Bigg Boss 9 Double Trouble. The Times of India.
- ↑ Bigg Boss 9 Contestant No 10: Mandana Karimi, Iranian model who entered Bollywood with 'Roy'. Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- ↑ 10 shocking revelations made by Mandana Karimi about Prince Narula, Nora Fatehi and others from Bigg Boss 9!. bollywoodlife.com. Retrieved on 28 January 2016.
- ↑ Bigg Boss 9: Mandana Karimi has 4 things to say about winner Prince Narula, Kishwar Merchant and her journey. Retrieved on 1 February 2016.
- ↑ Mandana Karimi, Karan Jhangiani to participate in Dance Ki Takkar 5. Retrieved on 17 April 2016.
- ↑ Dance Ki Takkar 5: Mandana Karimi says she is not a dancer. Retrieved on 1 February 2016.
- ↑ Dance Ki Takkar 5: Mandana Karimi is the first one eliminated. Retrieved on 1 February 2016.
- ↑ http://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/bigg-boss-season-10/ex-bigg-boss-contestant-mandana-karimi-marries-boyfriend-in-hush-hush-ceremony-see-pics-4492678/
- ↑ Inside Mandana Karimi's Wedding To Gaurav Gupta
- ↑ Ex-Bigg Boss contestant Mandana Karimi gets engaged to boyfriend Gaurav - Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved on 2017-01-23.
- ↑ http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/mandana-karimi-files-domestic-violence-case-against-husband-of-6-months-reports-1720184?pfrom=home-movies
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Mandana Karimi|
|Dance Ki Takkar 5|