Mallika Sherawat (born Reema Lamba on October 24, 1976) is an Indian actress who works in Hindi, English and Chinese language films. Known for her bold onscreen attitude in films like Khwahish (2003) and Murder (2004), Sherawat has established herself as a sex symbol and as one of the most popular celebrities in Bollywood. She then appeared in successful romantic comedy Pyaar Ke Side Effects (2006) which won her much critical acclaim.
Since then, she has appeared in successes like Aap Ka Suroor - The Real Love Story, Welcome (both 2007) — her biggest commercial success so far — and Double Dhamaal (2011). She is one of the few Bollywood stars trying to crossover to Hollywood, with films like Hisss (2010) and Politics of Love (2011). She was a contestant in the dance show Dance Ki Takkar in 2014.
Sherawat was born Reema Lamba in Moth, a small village in Hisar district of Haryana to a Jat family. Mallika's father is named Mukesh Kumar Lamba and she was born in the family of Seth Chhaju Ram, a leading Jat philanthropist. She was born on 24 October 1976. She adopted the screen name of "Mallika", meaning "empress", to avoid confusion with other actresses named Reema. "Sherawat" is her mother's maiden name She has stated that she uses her mother's maiden name because of the support that her mother has provided her.
Sherawat went to school at Delhi Public School, Mathura Road. She has a degree in philosophy from Miranda House, Delhi University. During the initial days of her career, she claimed to be from a very conservative small-town family and that she faced many hurdles from them in pursuing her career. However, Sherawat's family has rebutted this as a story created by her to give her an aura of a rustic girl who made it big in Bollywood.
Before entering films, Sherawat appeared in television commercials with Amitabh Bachchan for BPL and Shahrukh Khan for Santro. She also appeared in Nirmal Pandey's "Maar Dala" and Surjit Bindrakhia's "Lak Tunoo" music video. She debuted in films with a small rôle in Jeena Sirf Merre Liye where she was credited as Reema Lamba.
Sherawat attracted notice with her appearance in the 2003 film, Khwahish. In 2004, she starred in Murder, a film inspired by Hollywood's Unfaithful. She was noticed for her bold role with critic Narbir Gosal writing, "she has the chops to pull off a role like this one. She´s confident and sexy as Simran and handles her emotional scenes with dignity." She received a nomination for 'Best Actress' at the Zee Cine Awards for her performance in Murder. The film went on to become one of the biggest hits of the year.
Since then, Sherawat has been known for expressing her opinions in public, as well for the reaction to some of her statements.
In 2005, Sherawat acted in The Myth, a Chinese film, co-starring with Jackie Chan. She played the role of an Indian girl who saves Chan's character from a river. The Myth was her first international film. Her appearance at the Cannes Film Festival to promote the film secured a lot of attention, with Time magazine's Richard Corliss calling her "the next big thing."
Her performance in the 2006 film Pyaar Ke Side Effects, co-starring Rahul Bose, won her praise from around the industry, with critic Raja Sen commenting, "Mallika steals the show with her disarming candour." and the film did moderately well at the box office.
Her first release in 2007 was Mani Ratnam's Guru, in which she performed the song "Mayya Mayya." She played a guest role in Himesh Reshammiya's Aap Ka Suroor - The Real Love Story and reportedly charged Rs. 15 million for a 10-minute appearance. Her last release of 2007 was Welcome, which did exceptionally well at the box office. Her performance received very favourable reviews with noted film critic Taran Adarsh writing, "Mallika Sherawat is electrifying."
Her 2008 releases were Ugly Aur Pagli and Maan Gaye Mughal-e-Azam. Both were unsuccessful at the box office. Sherawat's next Bollywood release was Double Dhamaal, which went on to becoming a moderate success at the box office, receiving 'above average' status at the box office, by Box Office India. She also appeared in item numbers in films such as Thank You (Razia Gundon Mein Phas Gayi), Bin Bulaye Baraati (Shalu Ke Thumkey) and in Osthe (Kalasala), which is a Tamil film. In 2012, she was featured in an item number in Tezz (Laila). As of May 2012, Sherawat was expected to appear in two films which will feature her in full-fledged roles — Kismat Love Paisa Dilli, in which she will be playing the role of a Haryanvi, and Lucky Unlucky.
On 23 April 2013 it was announced that Mallika would star in a reality dating show called Bachelorette India - Mere Khayalon ki Mallika.
In 2009, Sherawat starred in a Hollywood film named Hisss, co-starring Irrfan Khan and directed by Jennifer Lynch. The story, based on the legend of Nāga, is an independent co-production between the United States and India. Endeavour Independent bought the distribution rights of Hisss. Sherawat promoted it with live snakes at the Cannes Film Festival 2010. Hisss was released in all major Indian languages on 22 October 2010.
Sherawat starred in another Hollywood film, Politics of Love, aka Love, Barack, directed by William Dear. She plays Aretha Gupta, a devoted local Obama volunteer coordinator. The film is a romantic comedy set during Barack Obama's campaign for the US presidency. A first look of Love, Barack was unveiled by Sherawat at Cannes 2010. It was released in 2011.
Sherawat won the 2008 Renaissance Artist Award at the 16th Annual Diversity Awards held in California. On 14 August 2009, Sherawat received honorary citizenship of Los Angeles in recognition of her career achievements and charitable work.
|2002||Jeena Sirf Merre Liye||Seema (Special appearance)||Credited as Reema Lamba|
|2004||Kis Kis Ki Kismat||Meena Madhok|
|2005||Bachke Rehna Re Baba||Padmini a.k.a. Paddu/Alka/Meera|
|2005||The Myth||Samantha||Chinese film|
|2006||Pyaar Ke Side Effects||Trisha Mallick|
|2006||Shaadi Se Pehle||Sania|
|2006||Darna Zaroori Hai||Riya|
|2007||Guru||Champa||Special appearance in item number|
|2007||Aap Ka Suroor - The Real Love Story||Ruby James|
|2007||Ee Preethi Yeke Bhoomi Melide||Special appearance in item numbers|
|2008||Ugly Aur Pagli||Kuhumini|
|2008||Maan Gaye Mughal-e-Azam||Shabnam|
|2010||Hisss||Naagin||English, Hindi crossover film|
|2011||Thank You||Razia||Special appearance in item number|
|2011||Bin Bulaye Baraati||Shalu||Special appearance in item number|
|2011||Double Dhamaal||Kamini Nayak|
|2011||Politics of Love||Aretha Gupta||English film|
|2011||Osthe||Mallika||Special appearance in item number|
|2012||Tezz||Laila||Special appearance in item number|
|2012||Kismat Love Paisa Dilli||Lovina|
|2015||Dirty Politics||Anokhi Devi|
|2016||Time Raiders||Snake Empress||Chinese film|
|2017||Zeenat (movie)||Ananta||Hindi movie|
|2005||Sarabhai vs Sarabhai||Sunehri||Season 2, Episode 28|
|2013||The Bachelorette India||Herself||Season 1|
|2013-14||Dance Ki Takkar 1||Contestant||Finalist, 4th place - 29 March 2014|
|2014||Hawaii Five-0||Farah Khan||Season 4, Episode 21|
Awards and nominations
|2004||Murder||Zee Cine Award||Best Actor – Female||Nominated|
|2008||16th Annual Diversity Awards||Renaissance Artist Award||Won|
|2009||Maan Gaye Mughal-e-Azam||Screen Award||Screen Award for Best Comedian||Nominated|
|2011||Hisss||Gotham Screen Film Festival & Screenplay Contest||Best Actress||Won|
|2015||23rd Kalakar Awards||International Youth Icon Award||Won|
|2015||Dirty Politics||Indian Film Festival Melbourne||Best Actress||Nominated|
|2016||Dirty Politics||Screen Award||Best Actress (Popular Choice)||Nominated|
- ↑ Sherawat, Mallika. Mallika Sherawat. Facebook. Retrieved on 5 November 2013.
- ↑ "Mallika Sherawat’s ideal men—NaMo, Rajinikanth and Hrithik". The Times of India. 27 October 2013. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-10-27/news-interviews/43432382_1_30-contestants-mallika-sherawat-hrithik-roshan. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- ↑ Suchitra Behal (25 April 2004). "Bold Sherawat". The Hindu (Chennai, India). http://www.hindu.com//thehindu/mag/2004/04/25/stories/2004042500050400.htm. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- ↑ Suhasini Haidar (11 June 2003). "Sex now selling in Bollywood". CNN. http://edition.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/10/bollywood.sex/index.html. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 http://in.rediff.com/movies/2006/sep/15pyaar.htm
- ↑ http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/moviemicro/criticreview/id/56001
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Alexandra Alter (6 February 2009). "A Passage to Hollywood". The Wall Street Journal. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123388073419754829.html. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- ↑ Simi Horwitz (25 February 2010). From Bollywood to Hollywood. Backstage.com. Retrieved on 23 July 2010.
- ↑ "Mallika in Politics of Love". The Times of India. 29 July 2010. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2010-07-29/news-interviews/28297893_1_mallika-sherawat-facebook-page-stills. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- ↑ It’s difficult for me to get over my father’s betrayal: Mallika Sherawat. The Times of India (7 October 2013). Retrieved on 4 March 2014.
- ↑ Vickey Lalwani (5 October 2004). 'Dharamji and Mallika plan to set screens on fire!. Rediff. Retrieved on 23 July 2010.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Deepender Deswal (25 January 2011). "Mallika's great grandfather more popular than her at her native village in Haryana". The Times of India. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-01-25/india/28369745_1_hisar-bhiwani-haryana. Retrieved 26 January 2011.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Youngsters to change the rule in Bollywood: Mallika Sherawat. Outlook India (24 September 2005). Retrieved on 23 July 2010.
- ↑ Trivia from official website. Retrieved on 7 January 2011.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 "Mallika exposed: These are the true lies". The Indian Express. 10 May 2004. http://www.expressindia.com/news/fullstory.php?newsid=31255. Retrieved 22 December 2010.
- ↑ Delhi Public School, Mathura Road. Zemu.in. Retrieved on 23 July 2010.
- ↑ Malavika Sangghvi (24 April 2005). "I want a man who has more balls than I do". The Times of India. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1087498.cms. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- ↑ "Viagra & the Nun". The Times of India. 11 April 2004. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/delhi-times/viagra-the-nun/articleshow/610504.cms. Retrieved 22 December 2010.
- ↑ Monika Balwa (29 March 2003). 17 kisses and a crab on her breast. Rediff. Retrieved on 23 July 2010.
- ↑ Mallika Sherawat Biography (15 July 2010). Retrieved on 23 July 2010.
- ↑ Mallika worked with Big B and Shah Rukh!. Sify.com (8 June 2004). Retrieved on 23 July 2010.
- ↑ http://www.planetbollywood.com/displayReview.php?id=041406045405
- ↑ Taran Adarsh (28 December 2004). The Best of 2004. Indiafm.com. Retrieved on 23 July 2010.
- ↑ Kulkarni, Ronjita. Hot and Controversial. Rediff.com. Retrieved 18 November 2007
- ↑ "Mallika dazzles at Cannes Film Festival". The Times of India. 18 May 2005. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2005-05-18/news-interviews/27837687_1_jackie-chan-hong-kong-stanley-tong. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- ↑ Richard Corliss (22 May 2005). "Like Only Cannes Can". Time. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1064414-2,00.html. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- ↑ Taran Adarsh (15 September 2006). Pyaar Ke Side Effects: Movie Review. Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved on 23 July 2010.
- ↑ Box Office 2006. Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved on 23 July 2010.
- ↑ Pricey Mallika set to shoot 'Mehbooba' song. Dnaindia.com (24 May 2007). Retrieved on 23 July 2010.[dead link]
- ↑ http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/moviemicro/criticreview/id/508650
- ↑ Box Office 2007. Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved on 23 July 2010.
- ↑ Mallika Sherawat plays Haryanvi girl in Kismat Love Paisa Dilli. Hindustan Times (5 December 2011). Retrieved on 4 August 2012.
- ↑ Mallika turns Sonu Sood's heroine for Lucky Unlucky. Reviews.in.88db.com. Retrieved on 4 August 2012.
- ↑ "Lonely Mallika sees perfect bachelor in Karan Johar". DNA. http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/1826143/report-lonely-mallika-sherawat-sees-perfect-bachelor-in-karan-johar. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- ↑ Jeremy Kay (17 May 2009). Endeavor takes revenge tale Hisss. Screendaily.com. Retrieved on 23 July 2010.
- ↑ "Cannes film festival 2010: the halfway point". The Guardian (London). 17 May 2010. https://www.theguardian.com/film/gallery/2010/may/17/cannes-film-festival-2010?picture=362737245. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- ↑ HISSS being dubbed in Tamil, Telugu & Malayalam (5 October 2010).
- ↑ Jay A. Fernandez (23 February 2010). "Actor falls for true-life political romance". Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61M14920100223. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- ↑ Check Out: First look of Mallika Sherawat's Hollywood film Love, Barack. Bollywood Hungama (19 May 2010). Retrieved on 23 July 2010.
- ↑ "Mallika gets a US award". The Economic Times. 20 November 2008. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3735777.cms. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- ↑ Mallika Sherawat makes Hollywood history!. Rediff (19 August 2009). Retrieved on 23 July 2010.
- ↑ Mallika Sherawat teams up with Bruno Mars. Funny or Die (18 September 2012). Retrieved on 18 Sep 2012.
- ↑ Vijay Singh wins Mallika Sherawat's heart on The Bachelorette India. Dnaindia.com (9 November 2013). Retrieved on 4 December 2013.
- ↑ "Mallika-Akki shoot for a hot item song". The Times of India. 18 January 2011. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-01-18/news-interviews/28367401_1_mallika-sherawat-song-munni. Retrieved 26 January 2011.
- ↑ Politics of Love on IMDB. Retrieved on 5 September 2010.
- ↑ "Mallika to shake a leg as Laila in 'Tezz". IndiaGlitz. http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/article/78701.html. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- ↑ Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai Season 2 Episode 28. Hotstar (16 May 2005). Retrieved on 8 September 2016.
- ↑ Hisss. gsiff.com.
- ↑ http://www.indiaglitz.com/mallika-sherawat-bags-international-youth-icon-award-hindi-news-123066
- ↑ IFFM nominees. Indian Film Festival Melbourne. Retrieved on 23 July 2015.
- ↑ Screen Awards 2016: Complete List of Winners. Retrieved on 9 January 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Mallika Sherawat|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Mallika Sherawat|
|Dance Ki Takkar 1|
|You can help improve this article! Perform a search for up-to-date information by using these search tools:|