|This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010)|
A native of Shawnee, Kansas, Roth moved to New York in the early 1990s, where he received his new name, based on the action figure Major Matt Mason. He has established Olive Juice Music, which is a recording studio, independent record label, and online record shop, headquartered in his apartment in the Lower East Side.
Anti-folk artists he has worked with, as collaborator, producer, and/or distributor, include Jeffrey Lewis, The Moldy Peaches, Toby Goodshank, Kimya Dawson, Rachel Trachtenburg, Brer Brian, Peter Dizozza, The Baby Skins, Prewar Yardsale, The Leader, Dan Fishback, Dave End, Frank Hosier, and Elastic No-No Band. In addition to his work as a solo performer, he is also a member of the bands Schwervon! (a rock duo featuring Roth's longtime girlfriend Nan Turner) and Kansas State Flower. Mason has toured extensively throughout the US and Europe with Schwervon! and as a solo performer, often supporting members of the antifolk movement, such as Jeffrey Lewis or affiliated bands (Misty's Big Adventure), or more recently as the headline act.
As solo performer
- The Lobster Song/Mr. Mrs. Something (7-inch single, 1994. HC Records) (as Major Matt Mason)
- Me Me Me (1998)
- Rivington '94 and the Tower Days (2001)
- Honey Are You Ready For The Ballet? (2003)
- Bad People Rule The World (2004)
- Senile Pie Strive Pip Melancholy (2007)
- Call It What You Want: This Is Antifolk (2002) - "Animal Shelter"
- Antifolk, Vol. 1 (2002) - "Rockstar"
- I Killed the Monster: 21 Artists Performing the Songs of Daniel Johnston (2006) - "Mind Contorted"
- Anticomp Folkilation (2007) - "Tripping Yourself"
- Rachel Trachtenburg's Homemade World (2009) - "The Dog Song"
- Olive Juice Music website
- Major Matt Mason USA's profile on Olive Juice Music
- Major Matt Mason USA's myspace profile
- Matthew Roth's blog
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Major Matt Mason USA, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.