|This biographical article needs additional citations for verification, as its only attribution is to IMDb. IMDb may not be a reliable source for biographical information. Please help by adding additional, reliable sources for verification. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. (March 2009)|
Karath started her career at the age of three, appearing in Spencer's Mountain with Henry Fonda and Veronica Cartwright in 1963 (she would subsequently work with Veronica's younger sister Angela Cartwright in The Sound of Music). In 1964 she was seen in The Thrill of It All with Doris Day and Good Neighbor Sam with Jack Lemmon.
Karath is best remembered for her role in The Sound of Music, where she played the youngest child, Gretl Von Trapp. She won her role when she marched in to meet Robert Wise the director, with a portfolio under her arm and declared: "I've been in three films already, I'm exactly who you're looking for."
During her appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Julie Andrews was asked about working with the Von Trapp children. She replied, "They were all lovely. However, the youngest one (Karath) was probably the most difficult for me, because she was just a tad heavy in those days. Today, she is this amazing gorgeous looking Monroe-esque young lady."
After The Sound of Music Karath primarily appeared in American television, including appearances in The Brady Bunch and Lost in Space. She remains friends with the other 'Von Trapp' children today, and in 2000 she went back to Salzburg with them, filming a documentary about the making of the film.
She is still currently working with them in new upcoming films.
Although Karath was born in the States, her family was actually Greek. Her original surname was Karathanasis, but then it was changed to Karath by her father. She has an older sister, Francie, who auditioned for the eldest Von Trapp child in The Sound of Music, a role that eventually went to Charmian Carr.
Karath graduated from the University of Southern California with a degree in Humanities, and shortly after that she moved to Paris, France where she studied art history and modeled as well. At the age of 26, she married Philippe L'Equibec; they have a son, Eric.
- All My Children (1970) TV series as Kristen (unknown episodes, 1988)
- Midnight Offerings (1981) (TV) as Monique
- Archie Bunker's Place as Pretty Girl (1 episode, 1980)
- The Waltons as Mabel (1 episode, 1973)
- The Brady Bunch as Kerry Hathaway (1 episode, 1972)
- Family Affair as Barbara (3 episodes, 1966–1971)
- Lost in Space as Princess (1 episode, 1966)
- Lassie as Kathy Vaughn (1 episode, 1966)
- Dr. Kildare (2 episodes, 1966)
- My Three Sons as Pammy (1 episode, 1965)
- Peyton Place as Susan (1 episode, 1965)
- The Sound of Music (1965) as Gretl
- Good Neighbor Sam (1964) as Denise Bissel
- The Thrill of It All (1963) as Maggie Boyer
- Spencer's Mountain (1963) (uncredited) as Pattie-Cake Spencer
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Kym Karath, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.