The Kwasind is a passenger ferry built in 1912 for the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. She is 71 feet (22 m) long. She was built by the Polson Iron Works and cost $13,000. Her name was taken from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem about Hiawatha, as the yacht club's previous ferry is the Hiawatha.
On July 29, 2000, both the Kwasind, and the yacht club's older ferry, the Hiawatha, were sunk by vandals. The Kwasind was refloated, and was back in working order the day of the sinking, while the Hiawatha required further repair.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Ship of the Month, No. 9 Hiawatha". Toronto Marine Historical Society. http://www.maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca/documents/scanner/02/09/default.asp?ID=c004. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
- ↑ "Nautical History". Save Ontario Shipwrecks. 2003. http://www.saveontarioshipwrecks.on.ca/Chapters/toronto/nautical.htm. Retrieved 2011-12-21. "The Iron Works only two existing ships in Toronto are the Trillium (built in 1913, which still ferry's passengers to Centre Island) and the RCYC passenger ferry Kwasind (1913)."
- ↑ "Doing water-tight deals". Canada.com. 2011-08-06. http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=6d129bb7-fbe4-4052-9a65-0e8f512cb111&sponsor=. Retrieved 2011-12-21. "The Royal Canadian Yacht Club, founded 1852, moved its clubhouse to Toronto Island in 1881; members and guests access the island with a pair of century-old ferry boats, the Hiawatha and Kwasind (names in a Longfellow poem)."
- ↑ "Ferry Sinks". boatnerd. 2000-07-29. http://www.boatnerd.com/news/archive/7-00.htm. Retrieved 2011-12-21. "The Hiawatha's sister vessel the Kwasind was also left semi-submerged and adrift, but was salvaged and returned to its dock. Police investigation continues but the police suspect that vandals opened the sea valves, allowing the vessel to fill with water."
- ↑ Greg Younger-Lewis (2000-08-22). "Cash reward offered to solve boat sinkings". Toronto Star. p. B 05. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/access/426933881.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Aug+22%2C+2000&author=Greg+Younger-Lewis&pub=Toronto+Star&desc=Cash+reward+offered+to+solve+boat+sinkings&pqatl=google. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Kwasind, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.