Mixed martial arts career
Phillips had a distinguished amateur boxing career and was a member of the Welsh Commonwealth boxing team before making the transition into mixed martial arts in 2005. In his first six fights, he won five by knockout with his only loss coming to the experienced Jim Wallhead in only his second bout.
After defeating Mihaly Dobrai via knockout, Phillips made his debut in the Cage Rage promotion in the Cage Rage Contenders series facing Christos Petroutsos. Phillips won via TKO in the first round.
He returned against Jake Bostwick at Cage Rage 25: Bring it On. After an early scare, Phillips battered Bostwick with a series of ground-and-pound attacks to claim the win. However, soon after, Phillips tested positively for a banned substance under Cage Rage's new drug testing scheme (becoming the first ever Cage Rage fighter to fall foul of the tests). This changed the result of the bout to a "no contest" and Phillips was suspended from competition in England for four months.
Phillips' last Cage Rage appearance was at Cage Rage 28: VIP, the last ever Cage Rage event, where he rematched Jake Bostwick. Midway through the second round, Phillips was able to force his opponent to submit to strikes.
BAMMA and journeyman status
Phillips was then scheduled to fight Paul Cahoon at OMMAC 5, but the bout never transpired.
Phillips then won his next four fights after BAMMA 1, including a win at KUMMA: Origins to take their middleweight title.
Phillips then faced James Zikic at BAMMA 4: Reid vs. Watson in a bout to determine the #1 contender for BAMMA Middleweight Championship. Phillips weighed in at 187 lbs, which technically made it a catchweight bout, and continued his streak of TKO victories, defeating Zikic in 1:34 of the first round.
At BAMMA 6 on 21st May 2011 he faced UFC veteran Frank Trigg, in what was touted as a classic match up between a striker and a grappler. He was taken down early by the wrestler, and stopped after 2:41 in the first round by the doctor, due to large cuts on his forehead, caused by Trigg's elbows. 
At the start of 2012, Phillips was entered into the Cage Warriors 8 Man Middleweight Tournament to crown a new Middleweight Champion. He was supposed to fight Tony Machado in the quarter finals but just hours before the fight, Machado was forced out of the tournament from a back injury. Without a suitable replacement, Phillips was automatically advanced to the semi-finals. Phillips was then scheduled to face Irishman Chris Fields in the semi-finals, but Fields also had to pull out from a back injury, this time a replacement was made available in Ukrainian Pavel Kusch. At Cage Warriors Fight Night 5, Phillips lost his semi-finals bout against Kusch after getting caught in a heel hook early into the first round.
Despite the loss, Cage Warriors announced that they signed Phillips to a four fight contract under them.
Phillips then fought at Cage Warriors Fight Night 6 against Tomas Penz. In what was perhaps the most unpredicted result of the night, Phillips won the bout in the second round from a triangle choke. This marks the first time the Welshman won a fight from a submission hold, with the first actual submission victory was against Jake Bostwick at Cage Rage from punches.
Phillips will next fight at Cage Warriors 48, where he will meet fellow fallen semi finalist Faycal Hucin. This fight has now become the main event due to an injury to middleweight tournament finalist Victor Cheng. If Cheng cannot compete in time for the new date for the finals at CWFC Fight Night 7, then the winner between Phillips and Hucin will face Pavel Kusch in the finals instead.
On July 10th, it was announced by Cage Warriors that Hucin has been injured and now has been replaced by Irishman Chris Fields, the man Phillips was supposed to face in the semifinals before injury plagued Fields.Due to the timing of the replacement, their fight will take place at a 192lbs catchweight. He won via guillotine choke in the second round. He will now face Pavel Kusch in the finals due to Cheng not being able to compete at Cage Warriors Fight Night 7.
A hand injury has now forced Phillips out of the tournament and is replaced by Chris Fields - the man that he had just beaten to earn the finals spot.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|22 matches||16 wins||5 losses|
|Win||16–5 (1)||Chris Fields||Submission (guillotine choke)||Cage Warriors Fighting Championship 48||July 21, 2012||2||2:04||Kentish Town, England||192lbs Catchweight, CWFC Middleweight Tournament Reserve Bout.|
|Win||15–5 (1)||Tomas Penz||Submission (triangle choke)||Cage Warriors Fight Night 6: Grimaud vs. Taylor||May 24, 2012||2||3:21||Isa Town, Bahrain|
|Loss||14–5 (1)||Pavel Kusch||Submission (heel hook)||Cage Warriors Fight Night 5: Brents vs. Linderman||April 12, 2012||1||0:25||Amman, Jordan||CWFC Middleweight Tournament Semi-Finals|
|Win||14–4 (1)||Matt Ewin||TKO (injury)||KUMMA 8 - Eclipse||October 29, 2011||1||0:56||London, England|
|Loss||13–4 (1)||Frank Trigg||TKO (cuts)||BAMMA 6||May 21, 2011||1||2:41||London, England|
|Win||13–3 (1)||James Zikic||KO (punches)||BAMMA 4||September 25, 2010||1||1:34||Birmingham, England||Catchweight bout as Phillips weighed in at 187lbs.|
|Win||12–3 (1)||Johnny Gillan||TKO (punches)||Fight Force 1||May 2, 2010||1||1:37||Leicester, England|
|Win||11–3 (1)||Marius Liaukevicius||TKO (punches)||Celtic Fight Night 3||March 6, 2010||1||0:15||Brecon, Wales|
|Win||10–3 (1)||Danny Welsh||TKO (body punch)||Trojan MMA: Trojan Warfare||February 27, 2010||1||0:36||Exeter, England|
|Win||9–3 (1)||Matt Thorpe||TKO (punches)||Knuckle Up MMA: Origins||February 20, 2010||1||0:50||Cheltenham, England||Won the KUMMA Middleweight Championship.|
|Loss||8–3 (1)||Denniston Sutherland||Submission (injury)||BAMMA 1||June 27, 2009||1||3:22||London, England|
|Win||8–2 (1)||Bohumil Lungrik||TKO (punches)||World Free Fight Challenge 8: D-Day||April 18, 2009||1||3:15||Ljubljana, Slovenia|
|Win||7–2 (1)||Jake Bostwick||Submission (punches)||Cage Rage 28||September 20, 2008||2||2:46||London, England|
|Loss||6–2 (1)||Tom Watson||Decision (unanimous)||Cage Rage 27||July 12, 2008||3||5:00||London, England|
|NC||6–1 (1)||Jake Bostwick||No Contest||Cage Rage 25||March 8, 2008||1||4:10||London, England||Originally, Phillips won via TKO (Punches); overturned after Phillips tested positive for a banned substance.|
|Win||6–1||Christos Petroutsos||TKO||Cage Rage Contenders - Wales||November 18, 2007||1||N/A||Swansea, Wales|
|Win||5–1||Mihaly Dobrai||KO||Anno Domini 2||June 9, 2007||N/A||N/A||Pula, Croatia|
|Win||4–1||Mario Valentic||TKO||Anno Domini: Fight Night 1||January 27, 2007||1||N/A||Pula, Croatia|
|Win||3–1||Edgaras Pilvinis||TKO (referee stoppage)||Cage Gladiators 3||December 3, 2006||1||0:34||Liverpool, England|
|Win||2–1||Gary Savage||TKO (punches)||House of Pain 7: Cage Fever||November 26, 2006||1||1:23||Swansea, Wales|
|Loss||1–1||Jim Wallhead||TKO (elbows)||House of Pain: Fight Night 5||April 9, 2006||1||1:41||Swansea, Wales||For the House of Pain Welterweight title|
|Win||1–0||Nigel Whitear||KO||House of Pain: Next Generation||July 24, 2005||1||0:57||Swansea, Wales|
- ↑ John Phillips Sherdog Record. sherdog.com (May 25, 2012).
- ↑ Matt Thorpe and John Phillips To Headline Knuckleup: Origin On February 20th
- ↑ European Throwdown. sherdog.com (June 21, 2007).
- ↑ Buzz Stings Shamrock at Cage Rage. sherdog.com (March 9, 2008).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Cage Rage Penalizes Phillips for Positive Test. sherdog.com (March 14, 2008).
- ↑ Cage Rage 27. sherdog.com (July 14, 2008).
- ↑ Cage Rage. sherdog.com. Retrieved on September 12, 2010.
- ↑ Cage Rage 28 Pictures. sherdog.com (September 25, 2008).
- ↑ 10 June Tussles Worth Watching. sherdog.com (June 4, 2010).
- ↑ 10 September Tussles Worth Watching. sherdog.com (September 1, 2010).
- ↑ BAMMA 4 Results
- ↑ BAMMA 5 Fightcard announcement. bamma.com (October 29, 2010).
- ↑ http://www.heavy.com/mma/mma-results/2011/05/bamma-6-trigg-watson-earn-tko-victories/
- ↑ CWFC Middleweight Title Tournament. sherdog.com (May 25, 2012).
- ↑ Tony Machado Out Of CWFC Middleweight Tournament With Back Injury. mmapundit.co.uk (May 25, 2012).
- ↑ Fields Out Of Cage Warriors Tournament; Kusch In. yourmma.tv (May 25, 2012).
- ↑ Pavel Kusch and Victor Cheng advance at Cage Warriors Fight Night 5. mmavalor.com (May 25, 2012).
- ↑ Four more added to CWFC roster. cagewarriors.com (May 25, 2012).
- ↑ Cage Warriors Fight Night 6 results: Phillips stops first opponent with submission. mmajunkie.com (May 25, 2012).
- ↑ Injury forces Cheng out of CWFC 48, Phillips to face Hucin. cagewarriors.com (June 21, 2012).
- ↑ Cage Warriors 48 adds Hucin-Phillips, Mason-Roberts, Wilkinson-Cohoon. http://mmajunkie.com+(June 24, 2012).
- ↑ Fields in for Hucin at CWFC 48. cagewarriors.com (July 10, 2012).
- ↑ Cage Warriors 48 results: Phillips surprises Fields, advances to middleweight finals. mmajunkie.com (July 22, 2012).
- ↑ JOHN PHILLIPS SUBMITS CHRIS FIELDS AT CAGE WARRIORS FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP 48. sherdog.com (July 22, 2012).
- ↑ John Phillips out at CWFC Fight Night 7, Chris Fields awarded title shot. sherdog.com (July 30, 2012).
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article John Phillips (fighter), that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.