It generates installers that fit in single JAR archives. As such, IzPack-generated installers are cross-platform: the same installer works on any operating system that has a working Java Runtime Environment. IzPack itself is a command-line utility, but a Java Swing based front end application, PackJacket, exists, which aims to create a simpler way to make IzPack-generated installers.
IzPack is released under the terms of the liberal Apache License version 2.0.
IzPack was started in 2001 by Julien Ponge. A community started to appear around the project, and the development began to be made using a CVS server hosted by Tuxfamily.
Although primarily meant to create cross-platform installers, IzPack allows for some operating system dependent customizations. For example, it is able to create shortcuts on Microsoft Windows systems and freedesktop.org-compliant desktop / window managers.
IzPack installers can be greatly customized. Each step of an installation is materialized by a panel. A wide range of panels is available for packagers to use: it is possible to freely choose and order them. Should the choice be too limited, custom panels can be created by application developers.
The installer builder is available as a command-line tool. It can be invoked from Apache Ant automated build as well.
Finally, IzPack provides a set of utilities:
- a native application launcher that can be used to first check for a Java Runtime Environment, then launch the installers
- a tool that wraps installers inside self-extracting Windows executables (based on 7-Zip)
- a tool that wraps installers inside Mac OS X application bundles.
- ↑ Codehaus move announcement: http://jpz-log.info/archives/2008/02/06/izpack-is-a-codehaus-project/
- ↑ IzPack: Cross-Platform Installer Not Just For Java, InfoQ article: http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/05/izpack_40
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article IzPack, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.