Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? (English: What Name Shall I Give This Love? ) is an Indian daily soap opera that aired weekdays on Star Plus from 6th June 2011 to 30th November 2012. The show starred Barun Sobti and Sanaya Irani. The show was first titled as Vaidehi but later changed its title. It replaced Rajan Shahi's Chand Chupa Badal Mein. Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? was one of the top popular shows with high TRP ratings throughout its run in 2011-2012.
The series inspired several multilingual reruns including, but not limited to, adaptations in Tamil as Idhu Kadhala, Telugu as Chuppulu Kalisina Shubhavela, Bengali as Bojhena Se Bojhena with Yash Dasgupta, Arabic as Men Nazra Thanya, Vietnamese as Mối Tình Kì Lạ and French as La Promesse.
The show also continued to inspire a spin-off titled Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?...Ek Baar Phir (English: "What Shall This Love Be Named?: Once Again"), which premiered on 26 August 2013 and starred Avinash Sachdev (Shlok Agnihotri) and Shrenu Parikh (Aastha Shlok Agnihotri).
On 24 November 2015, Hotstar launched a finite web series of eight extended episodes to extend the Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? story line. Barun Sobti and Sanaya Irani reprised their respective roles as Arnav and Khushi which was again a hit and broke the records of hotstar
The show is back with season 3 which is titled Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? 3 which starts Barun Sobti and Shivani Tomar. The show is a refresh story with new characters. It premiered on 3 July 2017 on Star Plus and replaced Arjun Bijlani-Drashti Dhami's Pardes Mein Hai Mera Dil.
Khushi Kumari Gupta(Sanaya Irani) is a girl from Lucknow who was raised by her uncle Shashi(Sanjay Batra) and aunt Garima(Pymori Mehta) after the death of her parents when she was only eight. She is chirpy, flamboyant and the life of her family. The show starts on the day of her sister Payal's(Deepali Pansare) wedding. On the last minute, Payal's fiance Abhishek and his mother demand a dowry, much to the shock of the Guptas, as they are a lower-middle-class family. In order to complain regarding this and to end the alliance, Khushi goes to the Sheesh Mahal to meet Abhishek but is mistaken for a model as they are having a fashion show there. She falls off the ramp when Arnav Singh Raizada(Barun Sobti) catches her. Arnav is an arrogant, obnoxious and unkind business tycoon who owns AR, the design company that was having a fashion show at the Sheesh Mahal. Arnav, thinking she is a model sent by a rival to ruin his show, locks her up in a room and interrogates her, even though she begs him to let her go. Because Khushi is late, Payal's wedding is cancelled.
After their first encounter they meet again at a religious place, where they have an argument. Khushi, Payal and Madhumati(Abha Parmar) are forced to move to Delhi, because of Arnav, as he had humiliated Khushi publicly in Lucknow's news channels in order to take revenge for her ruining his fashion show. There Khushi gets a job in Delhi to support her family, and meets Shyam, who starts living with Khushi's family as a paying guest. Later Khushi discovers that her boss is Arnav himself, much to her shock. After an initial fight, they sign a deal which states that Khushi will do every task Arnav hands her, otherwise she'll have to pay 1 lakh to him. She is often tormented by his westernized girlfriend Lavanya Kashap(Sana Khan) and her friends.
After being ill-treated by Arnav several times, dire circumstances force Khushi to quit her job. By this time, Khushi has met Arnav's family at the Raizada house when she goes to there as a door to door salesman in order to sell her handmade saris,Arnav's sister Anjali(Daljeet Kaur Bhannot and his grandmother Nani likes her a lot. When they hear that Khushi has quit her job they hire her to tame Lavanya into a traditional Indian girl, whom Nani(Jayshree.T) cannot accept unless she changes. The family is not very happy with Lavanya as they find out that she and Arnav are in a live-in relationship. While working at Raizada Mansion, Khushi and Arnav become much closer and learn to understand each other but they mutually don't declare their feelings.When Arnav comes to know about the engagement of Khushi he starts humiliating her by showing off some arrongant untruthful love towards Lavanya and always questions her about her not being happy on the declaration of her marriage.Arnav who never believed in marriage now accepts to get engaged to Lavanya and handovers the responsibilities of his engagement to Khushi. However, Lavanya and Arnav break up after she realizes that he's fallen in love with Khushi.
Meanwhile, it is revealed that Shyam(Abhaas Mehta), the Gupta family's paying guest, is actually Anjali's husband. Nevertheless, he slowly falls in love with Khushi after he starts living in her house and also lying to Anjali at the same time saying he is on a business trip.And when he realises that he is already married, he turns into a shrewd, cunning person who will do anything to get Khushi at any cost. He even went to the extent of trying to kill Shashi, when he finds out that Shyam is already married and is cheating on Khushi by trying to get engaged to her. Unfortunately, Shashi could not reveal anything to the family as he is left disabled after Shyam's attempt to kill him. Shyam impresses Madhumati, Garima and Payal with his tactics, and thus managed to get engaged to Khushi. Khushi is forced to accept the proposal because of her family.
As time pass, she eventually finds out about Shyam and Anjali, and she breaks all ties with him but does not tell the Raizada family because by then Arnav's cousin Akash(Akshay Dogra) had madly fallen in love with Payal. Payal and Akash get engaged, much to the chagrin of Akash's mother Manorama(Utkarsha Naik). The wedding brings Nand Kishore a.k.a. NK(Karan Goddwani), Akash's cousin, who starts flirting with Khushi and causes Arnav to become jealous. Much to Arnav's anger Khushi also seems to like NK and they become best friends.
During Akash and Payal's wedding preparations, Arnav realizes his feelings for Khushi and decides to propose Her. Nevertheless, Shyam continues to pursue Khushi and on Akash and Payal's wedding day, he forces her into a hug and reveals that he still loves her. Arnav accidentally sees them and thinks that they are having an affair. Here Arnav goes through a real emotional turmoil, because he thinks the girl he loves is a home-wrecker and he cannot tell the truth to his sister because she is now pregnant with Shyam's child. To prevent any problems and to save his sister's marriage, Arnav forces Khushi to marry him, by threatening her to end Payal-Akash's alliance. They get married in a temple and come home to reveal this, much to the shock and horror of both their families.
Khushi, unaware of the reason of their marriage, has to go through a lot of problems-Arnav's ill-treatments, abandonment from the both families. Even though they declare that they hate each other, still Arnav and Khushi has feelings for each other, which comes out in various occasions, and Arnav starts to wonder whether Khushi really loves him. Many months after the marriage, during a fight, Arnav reveals Khushi the real reason for marrying her and insults her by saying that she does not have a character. Khushi tells him the truth but he doesn't believe her. While Khushi desperately tries to prove her innocence to Arnav, he leaves for a business trip to London. However, he is kidnapped on the way and held captive for weeks. A worried Khushi finds out that Arnav did not reach London and realizes that he is kidnapped. Bravely she goes to rescue Arnav with Manorama's help. They find a lot of evidence and this leads Khushi to finally finding Arnav. The couple flee and they reach a forest and spend the night in a hut, where they spend some romantic moments. Unfortunately the kidnappers trace them and Arnav surrenders himself in order to save Khushi.
Meanwhile NK returns and notices Khushi upset. When he questions Khushi she tells him the truth and that she still does not know who the evil mastermind is. NK vows to help her and with his help they find out that Arnav's kidnapper is Shyam and that shyam is doing all this for Arnav's property.Meanwhile NK also comes to know that Shyam loves Khushi and is deceiving Anjali. Khushi goes to rescue Arnav once again but ends up in Shyam's hands this time. Meanwhile, without anyone's help, Arnav manages to escape as well. Shyam leaves Khushi on the road, letting her get run over by vehicles. Arnav sees this and rescues Khushi immediately. He has a fight with the kidnappers when one grabs hold of Khushi and threatens him to stop or that he will shoot Khushi. When Khushi asks Arnav not to stop, the kidnapper throws her down a cliff and leaves the place smiling. Arnav searches for Khushi down the cliff and sees her badly injured. Arnav, now in tears, does every possible thing to save her life and finally succeeds. The two happily come home to reveal Shyam's truth to the family, and Arnav throws Shyam out of the house. The whole family is left in terror when they discover the truth whereas Anjali is left shattered and unable to believe it. Khushi and Arnav's relationship finally becomes stable.All the family members of Arnav believe in Khushis words and stay away from Shyam but Anjali still meets him in private and blames Khushi for her sad life and doesn't even like look at her face. Then enters Arnav's Dadi who left for ashram after the suicidal death of her son and daughter in law insults Khushi and rubbishes Arnav and Khushi's marriage by saying that they have not fulfilled the rituals and that their relation is illicit. Arnav agrees to marry Khushi abiding to the rituals. Khushi leaves for her marital home.Dadi then goes to Buaji's home and abuses her for bringing up their child without saying the importance of marriage for which Garima slaps Khushi.Arnav comes to meet Khushi and finds that she was beaten up by her mother for his mistakes so tonight he goes to their home and asks to forgive him for all his arrogance and hatred towards her and says sorry for the every mistake of his.
A new character called Aarav(Vishesh Bansal) enters; a 8 year-old boy. Khushi sees him in a tailor shop because his and Arnav's suits had mistakenly got exchanged because of their same initials. Khushi is bewildered that Aarav's character is exactly like Arnav's. Khushi then sees Aarav again and this time she saves him from some kidnappers. During this whole encounter, Arnav and Khushi meets Aarav's mother, Sheetal Kapoor(Madhura Naik), who was Arnav's ex-girlfriend in college. Circumstances forces Raizadas to meet Sheetal and Aarav again and as everyone sees the stark similarities between Arnav and Aarav, Khushi comes to suspect that Aarav is Arnav's son. Various incidences created by Sheetal increases Khushi's insecurities and finally, upon receiving a DNA report confirming Arnav to be Aarav's dad, Khushi confronts Sheetal and she begs Khushi not to tell Arnav as he will separate her and Aarav. However, Khushi does reveal this to Arnav, who for a minute does not believe Sheetal's story and sets out to find the facts by himself.
Meanwhile, Akash tells everyone that he is going to America for a business deal and Manorama tells Payal to go with him. Arnav plans a leaving party for them and says that he has a surprise to everyone. During the party, Arnav calls some people in and brilliantly proves that Sheetal was lying all along, and that Aarav in not his or Sheetal's son but an orphan who was adopted by Sheetal and was trained to be like Arnav. It is revealed that Sheetal was bankrupted and did all this to get money from Arnav. Khushi slaps Sheetal for fooling her and Arnav calls in the police. Finally, when Aarav is about to leave for orphanage, Khushi and Arnav decides to adopt him as their son.
Now, Khushi has decided to participate in Mrs India contest without telling Arnav so she can give him a surprise later. Now Arnav gets to know that Khushi has participated the contest because Arnav is one of the sponsors of Mrs India.At home Arnav explains to khushi that the fashion world is not for her its to cruel and shes not fit for it. with this Khushi says to Arnav that she will win without his help and that the she knows the fashion world as well as he does.The next day Khushi goes to the studio where she was told that, she has to maintain a healthy diet as in only fruits and veges, with this Kuhshi worries that she wont be able to do it. Few days later Khushi helps one of the girls when the guy who started the show holds the girls hand.Arnav comes just in time to save Khushi from doing a swimsuit round. When the family round comes everyone goes but khushi can only take one person and she wants that to be Arnav. Arnav being the strict person, he is says he cant.So Khushi invites the whole family and get full points for that round. After the family round, Arnav kisses Khushi and one of the contestants takes a photo, shows it to everyone and asks to disqualify Khushi. Arnav reveals the truth and Khushi says she'll leave the contest. Judges stop her and says she is still part of the contest and Arnav says that he is not part of the contest anymore and he says that he won’t come in front of Khushi until the contest is over which is fair to everyone. In the finale round, Khushi wins judges hearts by her answers and crowned as Mrs.India. Unknown to everyone(except Khushi) Arnav is watching this. At home Arnav and other family members celebrate the success and Khushi tells Arnav that he is her strength all the time. Show ends with Arnav & Khushi remembering their past moments.
Barun Sobti was cast as Arnav Singh Raizada after the original choice, Karan Singh Grover, opted out of the role to focus on his film career. Sanaya Irani replaced Shraddha Arya who had originally been cast as the female lead.
- Barun Sobti as Arnav Singh Raizada, Khushi's husband, Anjali's brother (2011–12 and 2016)
- Sanaya Irani as Khushi Kumari Gupta Singh Raizada, Arnav's wife (2011–12 and 2016)
- Daljeet Kaur Bhanot as Anjali Shyam Jha/Singh Raizada, Arnav's sister, Shyam's Ex wife (2011–12 and 2016)
- Abhaas Mehta as Shyam Manohar Jha, Anjali's husband (2011–12)
- Akshay Dogra as Akash Singh Raizada, Manorama's son, Payal's husband (2011–12 and 2016)
- Deepali Pansare as Payal Gupta Singh Raizada, Khushi's elder sister, Akash's wife (2011–12)
- Jayshree T. as Devyani Raizada, Arnav & Anjali's Nani, Akash's Dadi (2011–12)
- Vishesh Bansal as Aarav Singh Raizada, Khushi & Arnav's adopted son (2012)
- Sanjay Batra as Shashi Gupta, Khushi & Payal's father (2011–12)
- Tuhina Vohra/Pyumori Mehta as Garima Shashi Gupta, Khushi & Payal's mother (2011–12)
- Abha Parmar as Madhumati Gupta, Khushi & Payal's Bua (2011–12)
- Utkarsha Naik as Manorama Raizada, Akash's mother, Arnav & Anjali's Mami (2011–12 and 2016)
- Rajesh Jais as Manohar Raizada, Arnav's Mama (2011–12)
- Karan Goddwani as Nand Kishore(NK), cousin of Raizadas (2011–12)
- Madhura Naik as Sheetal Kapoor, Arnav's ex girlfriend (2012)
- Sana Makbul as Lavanya Kashyap, Arnav's ex girlfriend (2011)
- Roshni Rastogi as Khushi's friend (2011)
- Swati Chitnis as Subhadra Devi, Arnav's Dadi (2012)
- Dhriti Bhatia as Bubbly (2012)
- Dinesh Nag as Hari Prasad (H.P) (2012)
The series premiered on 6 June, 2011 on Star Plus airing a 20-minute episode Mondays to Fridays. After completing approximately 398 episodes, the series went off air on 30 November 2012. The series was part of the channels worldwide broadcast and aired in more than 30 countries under the transmission of Star India.It was It has been dubbed into Tamil as Idhu Kadhala, Telugu as Chuppulu Kalisina Shubhavela, Malayalam as Mounam Sammadham, Turkish as Bir Garip Ask and Arabic as Men Nazra Thanya. The French dubbed version La Promesse airs on Reunion 1ere. On June 23, 2012 the series began its broadcast in Pakistani channel Urdu 1, thereby having two airing channels for Pakistan.
Remakes and further distribution
The series inspired several international remakes, which include Bohjena Se Bohjena starring Yash Dasgupta and Aragini. The show airs in Vietnam under the title, Mối tình kỳ lạ on HTV3. The show airs in Jamaica on one of the two free-to-air channels in the country which is CVM Television as Strange Love and also in Namibia and is dubbed in English.
In 2013, there was a spin-off Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?...Ek Baar Phir (English: What Do I Call This Love?... Once Again) with a brand new plot, starring Avinash Sachdev (Shlok Agnihotri) and Shrenu Parikh (Aastha Shlok Agnihotri).
In 2015, Hotstar launched Season 12 as a finite web series of eight episodes titled Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? — Ek Jashn with the original cast and the characters. The story was about the life of Arnav and Kushi after three years of marriage.
|2012||Star Parivaar Awards||Favorite Naya Sadasya(Male)||Barun Sobti||Won|
|Favourite Jodi||Barun Sobti and Sanaya Irani|
|Favourite International Jod||Barun Sobti and Sanaya Irani|
|Favourite Mazedar Sadasya||Utkarsha Naik|
|Favourite Dushman||Abhaas Mehta|
|Most Stylish Sadasya (Male)||Barun Sobti|
|Favourite Naya Sadasya (Female)||Sanaya Irani||Nominated|
|Favourite Behen||Daljeet Kaur Bhanot|
|Favourite Pita||Sanjay Batra|
|Favourite Beti||Sanaya Irani|
|Zee Gold Awards||Face of The Year||Sanaya Irani||Won|
|Best Actress – Popular||Sanaya Irani||Nominated|
|The Global Indian Film and TV Honours||Best Actor (Popular)||Barun Sobti||Won|
|Best Jodi||Barun Sobti and Sanaya Irani||Nominated|
|Indian Television Academy Awards||Best Actor Popular||Barun Sobti||Won|
|Best Actress Popular||Sanaya Irani||Nominated|
|Indian Telly Awards||Best Actor In Negative Role||Abhaas Mehta||Nominated|
|TV Personality Of The Year||Barun Sobti|
|Best On-Screen Couple||Barun Sobti & Sanaya Irani||Won|
|People's Choice Awards India||Favorite TV Drama Actor||Barun Sobti||Won|
|Favorite Most Good Looking On-Screen Jodi||Barun Sobti and Sanaya Irani|
|2013||Indian Telly Awards||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Sanaya Irani||Nominated|
|Best Actor in a Negative Role||Abhaas Mehta|
|Best Actress in a Comic Role||Utkarsha Naik|
|Best Actress in a Comic Role (jury)||Utkarsha Naik|
|2016||Garv Television Awards||GARV Scroll Honours||4 Lions Films||Won|
The background score "Rabba Ve" for Arnav and Khushi was well received by audiences as well as critics and fans started calling them Arshi (Arnav and Khushi) .  The character of Arnav Singh Raizada was very popular and gave a huge fan following to Barun Sobti such that when Sobti announced his break from the show due to health problems, his fans made it sure that the show was shut down on a happy note rather than any replacement. The onscreen chemistry between Sobti and Sanaya Irani resulted in several awards for best on-screen couple. The show also had very high TRPS. Fans are still crazy for the show and are eagerly waiting for Barun Sobti and Sanaya Irani to come back in their respective roles. The show has also been ranked no. 1 in many polls by fans led by several websites. Whereas, Arnav and Khushi's Jodi has been ranked no. 1 in the Best Jodi Category in several polls. Barun Sobti has been named as the most awaited comeback by an actor and Most Handsome Leading Man while Sanaya Irani has been named as the Most Beautiful Leading Lady. Many dialogues from the show have received tremendous popularity from fans like Barun Sobti's "What the", "I Love You Dammit" or Sanaya Irani's "Hey Devi Mayya", "Aaj Mausam hai Suhana song" or Utkarsha Naik's "Hello Hi Bye Bye" or Abha's "Haye re Nand Kishore" or Karan Goddwani's wrong hindi. The other actors from the show especially Akshay Dogra, Daljeet Kaur and Utkarsha Naik have also garnered extreme popularity due to their roles and the actors still remain best friends. The show has several fan pages and has been critically acclaimed show by the critics as well as the audience as it was not a typical 'saas bahu' show. Even the off screen moments of this show was hit and fans are still crazy for Akshay's Balwant Kaur song. It is one of the most popular shows even after the end of the show 5 years back and will always remain special for its fans.
- ↑ Confirmed: ‘IPKKND’ to end on Star Plus this week (26 November 2012).
- ↑ Star Plus to axe ‘Chand Chupa Badal Mein’ (2 April 2011).
- ↑ Second season of Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon – Daily Bhaskar
- ↑ Had no idea it was a sequel: Avinash on `Iss Pyaar Ko... 2`
- ↑ Just another love Story – Indian Express
- ↑ Avinash & Shrenu in season 2
- ↑ 'Iss Pyaar...Ek Bar Phir' a love-hate story: Shrenu Parikh – Indian Express
- ↑ Popular TV actors making a comeback – The Times of India. Retrieved on 2015-11-24.
- ↑ Sanaya Irani and Barun Sobti back in IPKKND. Retrieved on 2016-02-01.
- ↑ Barun Sobti back on TV with Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon, says not interested in daily soaps only finite series (2017-06-14). Retrieved on 2017-07-07.
- ↑ Singh, Anvita (2017-06-06). Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon 3's Shivani Tomar opens up about her character Chandni; says damsels in distress good for ratings. Retrieved on 2017-07-07.
- ↑ Replacement stars rewrite TRPs – Times of India. Retrieved on 17 August 2016.
- ↑ Karan Singh Grover-Shraddha Arya were approached for Arnav Khushi. Retrieved on 17 August 2016.
- ↑ Barun Sobti ‘delighted’ over his TV show being aired in Turkey. The Indian Express (3 March 2016). Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ I respect other people's time: Sanaya Irani. The Times of India. Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ Daljeet Bhanot back to work after separating from husband. The Times of India. Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ Hate mails no longer bother me: Abhaas Mehta. The Times of India. Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? actor Akshay Dogra becomes father to a baby boy. Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ Deepali Pansare quits Iss Pyaar Ko. The Times of India. Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ Utkarsha Naik is back with 'Bani'. dna (24 September 2013). Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ It was frustrating to play a character role: Karan Goddwani. The Times of India. Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ I am happy to work with Barun again: Madhura Naik. The Times of India. Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ My role in 'Iss Pyaar Ko.. is a challenging one to play: Swati Chitnis. The Times of India. Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon to return with Barun and Sanaya?. Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ Ujala Ali Khan. Hit Indian soap opera Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon gets Arabic translation. Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ Star India gives Turkey its first ever Indian Drama Series. The Times of India (3 March 2016). Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ La Promesse - réunion 1ère.
- ↑ Cô dâu 8 tuổi và phim ngoại ồ ạt lên truyền hình Việt. Tuổi Trẻ Online (7 January 2016). Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ CVM Television – Schedule. Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ Indian Television Dot Com – Star Plus’ ‘Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon’ travels to Namibia. Indian Television Dot Com (23 September 2014). Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ Fans are comparing me with Barun: Avinash Sachdev – Times of India.
- ↑ Indian Television Dot Com – ‘Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon’ culminates on Hotstar after 8 episodes. Indian Television Dot Com (16 December 2015). Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ Star Parivaar Awards 2012: And the winners are... – TV – Indian TV – ibnlive. IBN Live (26 Mar 2012). Retrieved on 25 Apr 2012.
- ↑ Star Parivaar Awards 2012. Hotstar. Retrieved on 8 March 2016.
- ↑ 35.0 35.1 2012 Nominees – Global Honours. The Global Indian Film and Television Honours. Retrieved on June 22, 2012.
- ↑ IndianTelevisionAcademy.com. Archived from the original on 21 October 2013. Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ The ITA Awards 2012 – Popular Top-5. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013.
- ↑ 38.0 38.1 "2012 Winners". tellyawards.indiantelevision.com. Retrieved on 2012-06-09.
- ↑ 2012 And the winners are.... People's Choice Awards India. Retrieved on 30 November 2012.
- ↑ 2016 – Garv Indian Television Honours. weebly.com. Retrieved on 11 May 2016.
- ↑ 41.0 41.1 A salute to the most enduring small screen jodis. The Times of India. Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ Small screen’s heartthrobs who return on fans’ demands. The Times of India. Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ On-screen Jodis of TV we would like to see again. The Times of India. Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
- ↑ Small screen TRP rockers of 2012. The Times of India. Retrieved on 18 March 2016.
|Programmes broadcast by STAR Plus|