|This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: the tone of the article do not reflect WP:NPOV and citations are not from Wikipedia:Independent sources. Please help improve this article if you can; the talk page may contain suggestions.|
|The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (April 2012)|
The Institute for Cultural Diplomacy (ICD) is an international, not-for-profit, non-governmental organisation based in Berlin. Founded in 1999 by Mark Donfried, its activities focus on promoting and developing the field of cultural diplomacy by conducting research, initiatives and programs as well as holding International conferences and event series.
ICD Advisory Board
The Institute primary asset is its Advisory Board, which includes many distinguished former heads of state and ministers.
- The Hon. Akua Sena Dansua - Minister for Tourism of Ghana
- The Hon. Senator Alan Ferguson - The 22nd President of the Australian Senate
- The Hon. Dr. Alfredo Palacio - Former President of Ecuador
- The Hon. Dr. Alfred Sant - Former Prime Minister of Malta
- The Hon. Dr. Ali Ahmad Jalali - Former Interior Minister of Afghanistan
- The Hon. Ana Trisic Babic - Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Prof. Dr. Anthony Giddens (Baron Giddens of Southgate) - Former Director of the London School of Economics
- The Hon. Bertie Ahern - Former Prime Minister of Ireland
- The Hon. Bill Cash (MP) - Member of the British Parliament
- The Hon. Cassam Uteem - Former President of the Republic of Mauritius
- Lieutenant General (Ret.) Clarence McKnight - Former Director - Command, Control, and Communications, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, US Army
- The Hon. Cletus A. Sieh - Minister of Culture and Tourism of the Republic of Liberia
- Amb. Dr. Cynthia P. Schneider - Distinguished Professor in the Practice of Diplomacy, Georgetown University; 61st Ambassador of the USA to the Netherlands
- H. E. Amb. Delia Domingo-Albert - Former Foreign Minister of the Philippines; Ambassador of the Philippines to Germany
- The Hon. Dr. Emil Constantinescu - Former President of Romania
- The Hon. Emily Lau Vice - Chairman of the Democratic Party of China; Member of the Legislative Council of Hong Kong
- The Hon. Dr. Erkki Tuomioja - Foreign Minister of Finland
- The Hon. Erna Hennicot Schoepges - Former Luxembourgian Minister of Culture and Religious Affairs
- The Hon. Dr. Erhard Busek - Former Vice-Chancellor of Austria, Former Minister for Education & Cultural Affairs
- Dr. Gerhard Prätorius - Head of Coordination CSR and Sustainability, Volkswagen AG
- The Hon. Ints Dalderis - Former Minister of Culture of the Republic of Latvia
- The Hon. Dr. Ioannis Kasoulides - Former Foreign Minister of Cyprus
- The Hon. Lord Jack McConnell - Former First Minister of Scotland
- The Hon. Dr. Jacques F. Poos - Former Deputy Prime Minister of Luxembourg; Minister of Foreign Affairs
- The Hon. Lieutenant General (Ret.) James B. Peake, M.D. - Former US Secretary of Veterans Affairs; Former Surgeon General of the US Army; Senior Vice President, CGI Federal
- The Hon. Admiral James Milton Loy - Former United States Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security; Former Commandant of the Coast Guard
- The Hon. Sir James R. Mancham - Former President of the Republic of Seychelles
- The Hon. Janez Jansa - Former Prime minister of Slovenia; President of the Slovenian Democratic Party
- Rear Admiral Dr. Joyce M. Johnson - Rear Admiral (Ret.) U.S. Public Health Service; Vice President Health Sciences, Battelle
- Prof. Dr. Karl P. Donfried
- Elizabeth A. Woodson - Professor Emeritus of Religion and Biblical Literature, Smith College USA
- Prof. Dr. Katherine Marshall - Senior Fellow at the Berkley Center for Religion, Peace & World Affairs and Head of the Center's Program on Religion & Global Development, Georgetown University
- H. E. Amb. Kolinda Grabar Kitarovic - Assistant Secretary General for Public Diplomacy at NATO; Former Foreign Minister of Croatia; Former Ambassador of Croatia to the USA
- Kristiina Ojuland (MEP) - Former Foreign Minister of Estonia
- The Hon. Senator Larry Lee Pressler - Former US Senator from South Dakota
- The Hon. Dr. Louis Wade Sullivan - Former US Secretary of Health and Human Services
- The Hon. Luc van den Brande - Former Minister-President of Flanders-Belgium
- The Hon. Marcia Barrett - Lead Singer of Boney M
- The Hon. Marina Pendes - Deputy Minister of Defense of Bosnia-Herzegovina
- The Hon. Michael Chertoff - Former United States Secretary of Homeland Security
- The Hon. Mirko Tomassoni - Former Captain Regent of San Marino
- The Hon. Dr. Nazar Al Baharna - Former Foreign Minister of Bahrain
- The Hon. Nouzha Skalli - Moroccan Minister of Social Development, Family, and Solidarity
- H. E. Amb. Paula Dobriansky - Former Under Secretary of State for Democracy and Global Affairs
- The Hon. Rexhep Meidani - Former President of Albania
- The Hon. Robert John Walter - Member of the British Parliament
- The Hon. Selmo Cikotić - Minister of Defense of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- The Hon. Dr. Solomon Isaac Passy - Former Foreign Minister of Bulgaria
- The Hon. Theodoros Pangalos - Deputy Prime Minister of Greece
- The Hon. Senator Tim Hutchinson - Former United States Senator from Arkansas
- The Hon. Dr. Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga - Former President of Latvia
- The Hon. Dr. Vasile Puşcaş - Former Romanian Minister for European Affairs
- The Hon. Victoria Saidu Kamara - Minister of Tourism and Cultural Affairs, Sierra Leone
- The Hon. Yasar Yakis - Former Foreign Minister of Turkey
- The Hon. Yves Leterme - Former Prime Minister of Belgium
- The Hon. Dr. Zvonimir Paul Separovic - Former Minister of Justice of Croatia
The organisation organises several annual international conferences. 
Annual conferences include: "The Berlin International Economics Congress (BIEC)", “The Human Rights Congress”, “The Freedom of Speech Forum”, “The Language of Art and Music”, "The Rise of Africa" and "Hard vs. Soft Power". Previous events held by the Institute for Cultural Diplomacy include the International Symposium on Cultural Diplomacy (Berlin, May 11-15 2011 ), which hosted The Hon. Lucinda Creighton - Minister of European Affairs of Ireland; The Hon. Michael Chertoff - Former United States Secretary of Homeland Security; The Hon. Rexhep Meidani - Former President of Albania; The Hon. Senator Tim Hutchinson - Former United States Senator from Arkansas; The Hon. Judge Theodor Meron - Former President of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia; The Hon. Yasar Yakis - Former Foreign Minister of Turkey.
"The International Symposium on Cultural Diplomacy" has been held annually since 2006. The 2010 Symposium was entitled "Culture, International Relations, and Globalisations" and included the event "Understanding Afghanistan and Asia", which was supported by the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and focused on how to promote democracy and stability in Afghanistan and Central Asia. The conference included speeches by Sir Malcolm Rifkind, Ali Ahmad Jalali, Bertie Ahern, and Kjell Magne Bondevik, Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga. The subject of the conference in 2009 was the role of soft power in international relations and the program included speeches by the Romanian Minister for European Affairs Vasile Puşcaş, former Finnish Foreign Minister Erkki Tuomioja former President of Latvia Dr. Vaira Vike-Freiberga,  former President of Portugal Jorge Sampaio, former German Ambassador to the UN Gunter Pleuger, and former President of the Republic of Mauritius Cassam Uteem.
In March 2011 the ICD hosted the Berlin International Economics Congress 2011 (Berlin, March 9 - 12 2011), which hosted The Hon. Nahas Angula - Prime minister of Namibia; The Hon. Jean-Paul Adam - Foreign Minister of the Republic of Seychelles; The Hon. Alberto Jose Guevara Obregon - Minister of Finance of Nicaragua; The Hon. Al Imam Al Sadig Al Mahdi - Former Prime minister of Sudan; The Hon. Akua Sena Dansua - Minister for Tourism of Ghana; and The Hon. Edmund Bartlett - Minister of Tourism of Jamaica.
The First "A World Without Walls" conference was held in Berlin in 2009 on the occasion of the twentieth anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. During the event the President of the Poitou-Charentes Regional Council and former Presidential Candidate for the French Socialist Party, Ségolène Royal, reflected on the historical significance of the fall of the Wall and outlined her vision for a "United States of Europe". The event also featured a speech by the former First Minister of Scotland, and former Prime Minister's Special Representative for Peacebuilding, Jack McConnell.
Other annual conferences are "The Berlin International Economics Congress", "The Rise of Africa" and "Hard vs. Soft Power".
Forums for Young Leaders
The ICD Young Leaders Forums are international networks of like-minded individuals with an interest in developing and supporting intercultural relations. The first Young Leaders Forum was developed almost a decade ago and since then the ICD developed and launched a variety of different bilateral and multilateral Forums that focus on a diverse range of relationships across the world.
The organisation organizes a series of week-long seminars and study tours, aimed at "students and young professionals from across Europe, as well as individuals from other areas with an active interest in the region." Currently, these forums focus on the bi-lateral relationships between Germany and Turkey, Germany and the UK, Europe and the United States, Europe and Russia, Scandinavia and Germany, and Europe and Latin America. In addition, there are multi-lateral forums focusing on Europe, Africa, and East Asia, and a forum focused on Germany entitled "Cultural Bridges in Germany". The Honoroble Yasar Yakis (Former Minister of Turkey) is currently the President of the ICD Young Leaders Forum.
"The UK meets Germany" has included speakers like Eurosceptic MP Bill Cash, former British and German Ambassadors, the British MP Bob Walter, the Anglo German globalisation commentator Nick Tolhurst and Deutsche Welle's Peter Craven. The UK meets Germany. Institute for Cultural Diplomacy. Retrieved on June 4, 2011. </ref>
"Germany Meets Turkey: A Forum for Young Leaders" is a program of the Ernst Reuter Initiative of the German Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt), and is run by the ICD in cooperation with the Robert Bosch Stiftung and the Istanbul Policy Centre at Sabanci University. Focused on strengthening the German-Turkish bi-lateral relationship, it brings together 24 participants each year, 12 from each country, for weeklong study tours. The study tours alternate between Germany and Turkey and involve discussions and seminars, as well as visits to private sector companies and academic institutions.
"Canada Meets Germany: A Forum for Young Leaders" was established in 2003 and includes alternating study tours between Canada and Germany. The most recent study tour was held in September/October 2008 and included a session at the University of Montreal.
The ICD Academy for Cultural Diplomacy
The ICD Academy for Cultural Diplomacy is the academic department within the ICD that works to analyse and raise awareness of the practice of cultural diplomacy by governments and non-state actors, and to explore new strategies for the strengthening of intercultural relations in general. Areas of particular academic focus for the Academy include the balance of hard and soft power, intercultural exchange, the process of globalisation, the interdependence of nation states, and the use of cultural initiatives to generate mutual understanding.
The ICD Academy organizes three separate forms of activity: Weeklong Academy Sessions, international conferences, and the BA, MA and PhD programs in International Relations and Cultural Diplomacy in partnership with Babes-Bolyai University .
Academy events have an inclusive participation policy and are open to individuals of all academic, cultural, and professional backgrounds. Over the past years, the Academy have welcomed students and scholars, teachers and professors, practitioners and journalists, diplomats and politicians from across the world on its programs. During the same period in excess of 500 current and former Heads of State and Ministers have contributed to the Academy event as speakers and partners.
The ICD Academy organises three separate forms of activity: Weeklong Academy Sessions, international conferences, and the MA in International Relations and Cultural Diplomacy (the latter in partnership with Babes-Bolyai University
The Academy published the book SEARCHING FOR A CULTURAL DIPLOMACY Edited by Jessica C. E. Gienow-Hecht and Mark C. Donfried.
The ICD is committed to implementing basic standards for human rights throughout the world in an effort to contribute to global peace and stability. In light of this goal, the ICD have launched the initiatives below. These initiatives are interactive and open to full participation from the public. The ICD Initiative on "the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide" The ICD Women's Rights Initiative The ICD's Advocates Abroad Initiative The ICD Initiative on Freedom of Expression
Cultural Diplomacy News
The organisation runs the media service "Cultural Diplomacy News", which contains interviews and news articles on developments in the field of cultural diplomacy.
The concept of this project is to provide the public with a vast range of information, researched news and studies, novelties and interviews. The structure of this project is such that the categories are divided into general geographical regions of the world i.e. Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and etc. The intention is to provide the readers with an overall view on issues regarding these regions. This includes their interdependent relations, issues of conflict and possibilities to either solve or try to partially explain them primarily through the use of 'Soft Power' and a perspective of cultural diplomacy.
From September - November 2008 the organisation, together with the Initiative Amerika Haus, and the German Federal Agency for Civic Education held a series of events for the Berlin public on the approaching US elections entitled "Wie wählt Amerika?" (How will America vote?).
The organisation held "German-Turkish Week 2009" in the Amerika Haus Berlin from 8–13 June 2009. The series included a welcome message by Cem Özdemir, current Leader of the Green Party in Germany.
- ↑ About ICD. Institute for Cultural Diplomacy. Retrieved on June 4, 2011.
- ↑ A report by National Public Radio featuring Mark Donfried 
- ↑ German Newspaper "Die Welt" article on Mark Donfried and the ICD (April, 2003)
- ↑ Conferences & Events. Institute for Cultural Diplomacy. Retrieved on June 4, 2011.
- ↑ http://www.icd-internationalsymposium.org
- ↑ Afghanistan and Central Asia conference promotes greater understanding (Internet news report). www.nato.int. Retrieved on June 4, 2011.
- ↑ King, Nathan. "2010 Berlin International Cultural Diplomacy Conference". iReport, not vetted by CNN: CNN.com. http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-458436.
- ↑ Vasile Puscas: EU must define stance for post-crisis period
- ↑ Tuomioja, Erkki (30.7. 2009). The Role of Soft Power in EU Common Foreign Policy. International Symposium on Cultural Diplomacy Berlin 30.7. 2009 (Private homepage). www.tuomioja.org. Retrieved on June 4, 2011.
- ↑ Vaira Vike-Freiberga. The role of the UN in promoting peaceful intercultural dialogue (Video). International Symposium on CD - July 2009: Institute for Cultural Diplomacy.
- ↑ Jorge Sampaio. Intercultural Dialogue and the Younger Generation: The Challenges Ahead (Video). International Symposium on CD - July 2009: Institute for Cultural Diplomacy.
- ↑ Gráinne Toomey. An Interview with Dr. Gunter Pleuger (Former German Ambassador to the UN). Institute for Cultural Diplomacy. Retrieved on June 4, 2011.
- ↑ Cassam Uteem. Democratic Participation and Cultural Inclusion in Multi-Ethnic Societies (Video). International Symposium on CD - July 2009: Institute for Cultural Diplomacy.
- ↑ A world without walls. Institute for Cultural Diplomacy. Retrieved on June 4, 2011.
- ↑ "La Tribune" interviews Ms. Royal and comments on her trip to Berlin for the ICD event 
- ↑ Conferences & Events. Institute for Cultural Diplomacy. Retrieved on June 4, 2011.
- ↑ About cultural diplomacy in Europe (CDE). Institute for Cultural Diplomacy. Retrieved on June 13, 2011.
- ↑ ICD - Young Leaders Forums. Institute for Cultural Diplomacy. Retrieved on June 4, 2011.
- ↑ Germany Meets Turkey and the Robert Bosch Stiftung
- ↑ Canada meets Germany. Institute for Cultural Diplomacy. Retrieved on June 4, 2011.
- ↑ http://www.berghahnbooks.com/title.php?rowtag=GienowHechtSearching
- ↑ Cultural Diplomacy News. Institute for Cultural Diplomacy.
- ↑ Initiativ Amerika Haus website
- ↑ German Federal Agency for Civic Education website
- ↑ An article in the German newspaper "Berliner Zeitung" on the election night celebration at the Amerika Haus 
- ↑ Documentation of Black History Month in Berlin from the German Federal Agency for Civic Education 
- ↑ Official website of Cem Özdemir
- ↑ German-Turkish Week 2009 (Website). Institute for Cultural Diplomacy. Retrieved on June 4, 2011.
es:Institute for Cultural Diplomacy fr:Institut for Cultural Diplomacy hu:Institute for Cultural Diplomacy pl:Instytut Dyplomacji Kulturalnej pt:Institute for Cultural Diplomacy ro:Institute for Cultural Diplomacy ru:Институт культурной дипломатии fi:Institute for Cultural Diplomacy
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Institute for Cultural Diplomacy, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.