Farah Khan (born 9 January 1965) is an Indian film director, film producer, actress and choreographer. She is best known for her choreographic work in numerous Bollywood films. She has choreographed dance routines for more than a hundred songs in over 80 Hindi films. She has since become a film director as well. In addition, she has worked on international projects such as Marigold: An Adventure in India, Monsoon Wedding and the Chinese film Perhaps Love.
Khan was born on 9 January 1965. Her mother Menaka is the sister of screenwriter Honey Irani and former child actor Daisy Irani. Farah's brother Sajid Khan is a comedian, actor and film director. When their parents' marriage broke up, Farah and Sajid were shuttled between different homes. Film personalities Farhan Akhtar and Zoya Akhtar are Farah's cousins.
Farah Khan married Shirish Kunder, the editor of her film Main Hoon Na, on 9 December 2004. They have since worked together on each other's films, such as Jaan-E-Mann, Om Shanti Om, and Tees Maar Khan. Khan gave birth to triplets in 2008; one son and two daughters.
Farah Khan was studying sociology in St. Xavier's College, Mumbai when Michael Jackson's "Thriller" was telecast. She was so inspired, that although she hadn’t danced before that, it soon became her vocation. She learned to dance basically on her own, and set up a dance group. When the choreographer Saroj Khan walked out of the film Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar, Khan took over. This was followed by many more songs. She met actor Shahrukh Khan on the set of Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa and the two have since become good friends and started working together.
Farah Khan's work in Monsoon Wedding, Bombay Dreams and Vanity Fair was nominated for a 2004 Tony Award as Best Choreographer, along with collaborator Anthony van Laast, for Bombay Dreams. She has won the Filmfare Best Choreography Award five times. Khan then went on to direct her first film Main Hoon Na Starring Shah Rukh Khan which was produced by Red Chillies Entertainment. Khan became the second female director to be nominated for Filmfare Best Director Award. As a director, her second movie Om Shanti Om Starring Shah Rukh Khan and debutant Deepika Padukone became the highest grossing Hindi film of all time at its time of release. Tees Maar Khan was her next directorial release. In 2012 she made her film acting debut in a leading role in Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi, directed by Bela Bhansali Sehgal.
Khan initially announced her plans to direct Happy New Year in 2005, multiple delays and cast changes occurred over a number of years. The project has again been reported as being in the works as of 2012.
Farah Khan trained Colombian pop star Shakira for a Bollywood version of her song Hips Don't Lie for the MTV Video Music Awards on 31 August 2006. Khan has also choreographed Kylie Minogue for the song "Chiggy Wiggy" in the 2009 movie Blue.
She hosted the celebrity chat show Tere Mere Beach Mein and was a judge on the reality television series Indian Idol – first and second season, Jo Jeeta Wohi Super Star, Entertainment Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega and Dance India Dance Li'l Masters. She also judged dance reality show Just Dance alongside Hrithik Roshan and Vaibhavi Merchant on Star Plus.
Khan and her husband have started a production company called "Three's Company" named in honor of their triplets. In 2012, she choreographed "Ishq Wala Love" and "Radha" for Student Of The Year. In 2013, she choreographed "Jumping Jhapak".
|1998||Kuch Kuch Hota Hai||Yes||Woman on the Neelam show/|
College student who makes fun of Anjali
|2003||Kal Ho Na Ho||Yes||One of the customers that come to the restaurant after its renovation|
|2004||Main Hoon Na||Yes||Herself Special Appearance in song "Yeh Fizaein" during the end credits||Yes||Yes|
|2007||Om Shanti Om||Yes||The one whom Om prakash asks if she's the director of the movie /|
Special appearance during the end credits
|2010||Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai||Yes||Herself|
|2010||Tees Maar Khan||Yes||Yes|
|2010||Khichdi: The Movie||Yes||Herself-cameo|
|2012||Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi||Yes||Shirin Fugawala|
|2012||Student of the Year||Yes||Cameo in the Disco Song as a judge|
|2014||Happy New Year (2014 film)||Yes||Yes|
- Television judge show|Television Show Judge
- ↑ Thomas, Anjali (7 October 2007). "Farah Khan latest chant is 'Mom Shanti MOM'". DNA. http://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/inner-spaces_farah-khan-latest-chant-is-mom-shanti-mom_1125923. Retrieved 17 November 2008.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Tête à tête". The Telegraph (Calcutta, India). 7 October 2007. http://www.telegraphindia.com/1071007/asp/7days/story_8405201.asp. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- ↑ Kulkarni, Ronjita (12 August 2004). Meet the man Farah Khan will marry. Rediff.com. Retrieved on 17 November 2008.
- ↑ Ben Fenton (26 June 2008). Om Shanti Om rakes in $45m worldwide. Financial Times. Retrieved on 17 November 2008.
- ↑ Farah Khan makes Deepika happy. Sify Movies. Retrieved on 11 February 2013.
- ↑ "'Happy New Year' went on floors in 2014 Khan". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 12 May 2009. http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/009200905120931.htm. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- ↑ Farah Khan gives Fictitious dance group a break in Happy New Year. Business of Cinema. Retrieved on 11 February 2013.
- ↑ Shah Rukh dampens Farah’s ‘Happy New Year’ plans!. Zee News. Retrieved on 11 February 2013.
- ↑ Shah Rukh Khan and Farah Khan come together for 'Happy New Year'. The Indian Express. Retrieved on 11 February 2013.
- ↑ SRK wants to work with Priyanka in Farah Khan's film Happy New Year. India Today. Retrieved on 11 February 2013.
- ↑ "Shah Rukh Khan busy for Farah Khan till 2013". The Times of India. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-04-12/news-interviews/31325559_1_srk-yash-chopra-shah-rukh-khan. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- ↑ Anushka is not pairing with Shahrukh for Farah. India Glitz. Retrieved on 11 February 2013.
- ↑ Shah Rukh Khan miffed with ‘Happy New Year’ report!. Zee News. Retrieved on 11 February 2013.
- ↑ Katrina, Sonakshi or newcomer for Happy New Year?. Retrieved on 14 February 2013.
- ↑ Farah Khan lays out parameters for 'Happy New Year' heroine. Retrieved on 14 February 2013.
- ↑ "John joins Shah Rukh for Farah's next film". The Times of India. 26 June 2012. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-06-26/news-interviews/32424075_1_farah-khan-abhi-ash-wedding-shah-rukh.
- ↑ Jha, Subhash K. (1 September 2006). Farah Khan bonds big time with Shakira. bollywood hungama. Retrieved on 17 November 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Farah Khan|
|Stardust Award for Best Actress|
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Farah Khan, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
|Dance India Dance|
|Choreographers / Skippers|
|2nd place finalists||
|3rd place finalists||
|4th place finalists||
|You can help improve this article! Perform a search for up-to-date information by using these search tools:|