|This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. Please help improve this article by adding links that are relevant to the context within the existing text. (March 2014)|
EMIS Group plc is the UK leader in connected healthcare software and services. The business provides a range of services across healthcare settings including primary, secondary, community and specialist care and community pharmacy. Companies in the Group include: EMIS - the UK leader in clinical IT systems for joined-up patient care; Ascribe – a leading provider of software and IT services to secondary care; Rx Systems, whose software is used by over 35% of community pharmacies in the UK; Digital Healthcare, a leading provider of diabetic retinopathy screening and other ophthalmology-related solutions; and Egton, who provide IT infrastructure, engineering and support.
History of the company
EMIS began in the 1980s in a rural dispensing practice in Egton near Whitby in North Yorkshire, where Dr Peter Sowerby wrote the software in association with co-author Dr David Stables. EMIS Group Limited was formed in 2008 and became EMIS Group plc and floated on AIM on 29 March 2010.
Healthcare record systems
EMIS is the UK leader in clinical IT systems for joined-up patient care. Its systems hold 39 million patient records and are used by over 5,000 healthcare organisations – from GP practices to community, child and mental health services. As of 31 December 2013 53%* of GP practices in the UK use an EMIS system. The company’s flagship EMIS Web system enables secure shared access to a patient’s whole-life electronic health record and it is the most widely-used GP clinical system in the UK.
Ascribe is a leading supplier of clinical record systems for hospital pharmacy, A&E, mental health and patient administration (PAS)/electronic patient record systems (EPR). Seventy per cent of NHS secondary care organisations use an Ascribe solution.
RX Systems is a major supplier of software to pharmacists with a UK market share at 31 December 2013 of 35.3%.
The ProScript software is the most widely used community pharmacy dispensary management system in the UK, efficiently managing the dispensary process, labelling and endorsing patient records, ordering and stock control.
Digital Healthcare provides solutions and services to manage and support systematic population-based retinal screening programmes. Active in many countries, but principally in England and Wales where it has a market share in excess of 75%, Digital Healthcare has deployed over 60 diabetic retinopathy screening programmes, managing in aggregate over 2 million registered patients and over 42 million retinal images.
Egton specialises in the supply of ICT infrastructure, application software and value added services to healthcare and other public and private sector organisations.
Healthcare Gateway facilitates the sharing of patient data via the medical interoperability gateway (MIG). EMIS IQ meets the demand for high quality clinical and management information to support the national General Practice Extraction Service (GPES).
Patient.co.uk is the leading independent health information and healthcare transactional site. It helps patients play a key part in their own care with an information library, health apps, online and mobile services such as GP appointment booking and repeat prescription ordering.
Flotation and Current Trading
EMIS Group Limited became EMIS Group plc and then floated on AIM and started trading on 29 March 2010.
Trading update for the year ended 31 December 2013:
Overall results in line with expectations:
- Positive contribution from 2013 acquisitions
- Net debt reduced from pro forma £18.7m, as announced at the time of acquisition of Ascribe, to £13.5m.
Primary & Community Care
- UK primary care software market leading position maintained with market share of 53.0% (5,232 GP practices) (2012: 51.2% (5,113 GP practices))
- Doubling of GP practices live with EMIS Web to 3,327 (2012: 1,635)
- Community Child and Mental Health (CCMH) focus showing results in contract wins and an unprecedented level of bid activity.
- High street pharmacy numbers increased to 4,781 community pharmacies, 35.3% of the UK market (2012: 4,595 pharmacies, 34.8%)
- Medicines Manager developed, piloted and ready for launch.
Secondary & Specialist Care
- Acquisitions deliver strategic platform for integrated care with Ascribe providing substantial UK presence in PAS, A&E, Pharmacy and Mental Health, and Digital Healthcare being England's market leader for diabetic eye screening software and services
- Post acquisition, Ascribe secured several significant contracts and Digital Healthcare now rolling out upgraded diabetic eye screening software.
Current trading and outlook:
- Group continues to trade in line with management expectations and with continuing strong revenue visibility
- Current number of EMIS Web GP practices installed stands at 3,453 with all the remaining English estate having either placed an order or currently using the familiarisation service. Balance of the English EMIS Web GP installations expected throughout 2014
- GPSoCR Lot 1 negotiations expected to conclude shortly
- CCMH presence and pipeline strengthening further
- Organisational and product integration of both Digital Healthcare and Ascribe progressing well including interoperability of the acquired product sets with EMIS Web for GPs.
- http://www.emis-online.com EMIS website
- http://www.ascribe.com Ascribe website
- http://www.rxsystems.co.uk Rx Systems website
- http://www.digital-healthcare.co.uk Digital Healthcare website
- http://www.egton.net Egton website
- http://www.healthcaregateway.co.uk Healthcare Gateway website
- http://www.patient.co.uk Patient.co.uk website
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Egton Medical Information Systems, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.