Diana Penty (pronounced [ɖaːjnaː peːnʈiː]; born 2 November 1985) is an Indian model and film actress who appears in Hindi films. Firstly she appeared in modeling and then made her acting debut in 2012 in romantic-comedy film Cocktail. Her performance in the film garnered praise, and earned her a nomination for Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut. Besides this, she earned the several nominations and awards for her modeling and acting including International Indian Film Academy Award for the Best Supporting Actress.
After initial reluctance, Penty began a full-time modelling career with her friend in 2005 when she was signed up by Elite Models India. She soon established a successful career as a model after walking the ramp for many of India's top designers. She was a contestant on Bigg Boss 9 in 2015.
After a four year sabbatical from acting, Penty played the eponymous heroine a free-spirited reluctant bride in the romantic comedy Happy Bhag Jayegi; she garnered praise for her performance and the film went on to become a sleeper hit grossing over 391 million. She also played a supporting role in the 2017 prison film Lucknow Central. Penty is an active celebrity endorser and has been associated with brands like TRESemmé and Nokia.
Penty was born on 2 November 1985 in Mumbai to a Parsi father and a Christian mother. She is a christian by faith. She attended St. Agnes High School in Mumbai, and graduated with a bachelor's degree in Mass Media from St. Xavier's College.
Modelling career (2005–11)
Penty began her modeling when she sent her photographs to Elite Models India, who liked her work and suggested she take up modelling assignments. At this stage, she was in college, and was reluctant to choose on a career in modelling, so Penty decided to work part-time as a fashion model. In 2005, Penty officially started working for Elite Models India, and made her runway debut at the Indo-Italian Festival for Italian designers Nicola Trussardi and Gianfranco Ferré. Thereafter, Penty modelled for several other Indian designers, including Wendell Rodricks, Rohit Bal and Rina Dhaka. By 2007, she had established a successful modelling career after appearing in print campaigns for some of India's most prominent brands, including Tribhovandas Bhimji Zaveri, Parachute and Westside; as well as featuring on the covers of a few Indian fashion magazines.
The following year, Penty went on to model at the international circuit when she began to endorse global brands including Maybelline, Garnier and Forever 21. On Penty's international appeal, the CEO of Elite Models India Sushma Puri commented, "Diana has a face that is very versatile and appeals to both Indian and international markets and she is also young, beautiful and confident. This makes her the ideal choice for any international brand." Later in her modelling career Penty started to receive film offers, though she believed herself to be too inexperienced, and rejected them to focus on modelling. From 2008 to 2010, Penty established herself internationally after modelling for fashion weeks in Paris and New York.
Bollywood debut and breakthrough (2012–present)
Penty was originally slated to make her Bollywood debut in 2011 with Imtiaz Ali's Rockstar opposite Ranbir Kapoor, although she rejected the film due to her modelling commitments at the time and was subsequently replaced by Nargis Fakhri. She later signed up for Homi Adajania's Cocktail instead; at Ali's suggestion. Cast alongside Saif Ali Khan and Deepika Padukone, the film received mixed to positive reviews. Penty's portrayal of Meera, a simple Indian girl with traditional values was well received by critics. Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama commented that "Diana, who makes her acting debut, gets to portray a rather difficult character for her debut film. There's a very disarming kind of innocence that she brings to the role and she impresses a great deal." Raja Sen agreed, mentioning that she is "refreshingly natural". Anupama Chopra added that "Diana is saddled with the most colourless character but [...] infuses her role with a quiet poise and holds her own." Her performance earned her nominations for best debut and best supporting actress at numerous Indian award ceremonies. Cocktail emerged as a box office hit.
After a four year absence from the screen, Penty played the titular runaway bride in Anand L. Rai's production Happy Bhag Jayegi (2016). About the break from acting, Penty said: "It wasn’t a conscious break. I was taking my time looking to be a part of an interesting story. I didn’t want to do anything that came my way." The film earned mixed reviews from critics but was a sleeper hit. Rohit Bhatnagar wrote that Penty "steals the spotlight in every frame", while Anna M.M. Vetticad of Firstpost said: "Penty is brimming with potential [...] but her Happy, despite being the titular protagonist, is the most under-written character."
Diana Penty was recently seen as a diligent NGO Worker "Gayatri Kashyap" in "Lucknow Central" released on September 17, 2017. 
As of September 2017, Penty has one upcoming project. Diana Penty has also been confirmed to return for the sequel of Happy Bhag Jayegi. and in Abhishek Sharma's Parmanu: The Story Of Pokhran, she is cast opposite John Abraham.
In the media
Penty has also featured on several magazine covers, such as the July 2012 issue of Vogue, the October 2012 issue of Elle, the January 2013 issue of Verve, the January/February 2013 issue of Women's Health India, the February 2013 issue of Grazia, the May 2013 issue of Femina, among others.
|2016||Happy Bhag Jayegi||Harpreet "Happy" Kaur|
|2017||Lucknow Central||Gayatri Kashyap|
|2018||Parmanu: The Story Of Pokhran||Ambalika|
|2018||Happy Phirr Bhag Jayegi||Harpreet "Happy" Kaur|
|2015||Bigg Boss 9||Contestant||Entered as Wild Card, Evicted Day 93|
|2017||Dance Ki Takkar 6||Contestant||Wild Card, Not Selected|
Awards and nominations
|2012||Vogue Beauty Awards||Female Debut||Cocktail||Won|
|UK Bollywood Cosmopolitan Awards||Best Debut (Female)||Won|
|BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor (Film) Debut - Female||Nominated|
|2013||ETC Bollywood Business Awards||Most Profitable Debut (Female)||Nominated|
|Filmfare Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Most Promising Newcomer – Female||Nominated|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Star Guild Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Best Actress in a Supporting Role||Nominated|
|International Indian Film Academy Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|2017||Most Entertaining Actor in a Comedy Film – Female||Happy Bhag Jayegi||Nominated|
|2017||B4U Viewers Choice Awards||Best Actor -Female||Nominated|
|2017||Lux Golden Rose Awards||Break Through Performer Of The Year||Nominated|
|2018||GeoSpa AsiaSpa Awards||Style Icon of the Year Award||N/A||Won|
- 2013: Grazia Face of the Year
- 2013: Times of India's Most Desirable Woman of 2012 #25
- 2013: Times of India's 10 Most Promising Newcomers 2012-Female #10
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Sharma, Viseshika (January 2013). "Flaming Blush". Verve. http://www.verveonline.com/116/fashion/flaming.shtml. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- ↑ Ranbir's girl goes to Saif (6 April 2011). Retrieved on 12 April 2018.
- ↑ Diana Penty—Awards. Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 20 October 2013. Retrieved on 2 October 2013.
- ↑ Nominations for IIFA Awards 2013. Bollywood Hungama (12 April 2018). Retrieved on 12 April 2018.
- ↑ My Personal Style Is Casual And Simple: Diana Penty. Businessofcinema.com (18 April 2013). Retrieved on 12 April 2018.
- ↑ Diana Penty. Fashion Model Directory. Retrieved on 2 October 2013.
- ↑ Agrawal, Rati (27 April 2013). Bollywood Celebs with Inter-Faith Parents. iDiva. Retrieved on 4 February 2014.
- ↑ Jajoo, Amar A. (8 February 2013). "Bollywood actors who have good academic background". The Times of India. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-02-08/news-interviews/36992540_1_omi-vaidya-actors-new-york-film. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- ↑ Ajmera, Ankit (29 August 2012). "Diana Penty has a huge appetite for desserts". The Times of India. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-08-26/fitness/32941456_1_diana-penty-gym-fitness. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- ↑ Hari, Veena (21 September 2006). These faces have made their mark. Rediff.com. Retrieved on 30 September 2013.
- ↑ "Acting is more demanding, says Diana Penty". Hindustan Times. 30 January 2013. http://www.hindustantimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/acting-is-more-demanding-says-diana-penty/article1-1003987.aspx. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- ↑ Debut Deck: Diana Penty. MSN (11 July 2012). Retrieved on 28 June 2014.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Singh, Prashant (18 June 2009). "Indian sizzler for New York fashion runway". India Today. http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/Indian+sizzler+for+New+York+fashion+runway/1/47109.html. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- ↑ "Indian model Diana Penty is new brand ambassador of Maybelline". Thaindian News. 12 December 2008. http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/entertainment/indian-model-diana-penty-is-new-brand-ambassador-of-maybelline_100125997.html. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- ↑ "Diana replaces Deepika as a brand ambassador!". The Indian Express. 22 December 2008. http://archive.indianexpress.com/news/diana-replaces-deepika-as-a-brand-ambassador-/401417/0. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- ↑ Singh, Prashant (9 July 2012). "Diana Penty quits ramp for Bollywood". Hindustan Times. http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/Diana-Penty-quits-ramp-for-Bollywood/Article1-885571.aspx. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- ↑ Prabhu, Vidya (21 August 2009). "Models in India are very impatient, says Diana Penty". Daily News and Analysis. http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report-models-in-india-are-very-impatient-says-diana-penty-1284321. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- ↑ Saini, Minakshi (21 July 2012). Rockstar was offered to me first: Diana Penty. Archived from the original on 23 August 2012. Retrieved on 3 December 2012.
- ↑ Ranbir's girl goes to Saif (6 April 2011). Retrieved on 26 May 2012.
- ↑ Adarsh, Taran (13 July 2012). Cocktail (2012) Review. Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved on 29 June 2013.
- ↑ Sen, Raja (13 July 2012). Review: Cocktail is let down by its inane plot. Rediff.com. Retrieved on 4 February 2014.
- ↑ Chopra, Anupama (13 July 2012). "Anupama Chopra's review: Cocktail". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130726073522/http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertainment/Reviews/Anupama-Chopra-s-review-Cocktail/Article1-888616.aspx. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- ↑ Box Office Earnings 10/08/12 - 16/08/12. Box Office India. Archived from the original on 25 August 2012. Retrieved on 9 September 2013.
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 Upadhyay, Karishma (24 September 2016). "Diana is happy". The Telegraph. https://www.telegraphindia.com/1160924/jsp/t2/story_109827.jsp#.WLwISW-GO00. Retrieved 5 March 2017.
- ↑ Goswami, Parismita (19 August 2016). "'Happy Bhag Jayegi' review round-up: Here is what critics have to say about Abhay Deol and Diana Penty's film". International Business Times. http://www.ibtimes.co.in/happy-bhag-jayegi-review-round-here-what-critics-have-say-about-abhay-deol-diana-690301. Retrieved 5 March 2017.
- ↑ Bhatnagar, Rohit (19 August 2016). "Happy Bhag Jayegi movie review: A perfect family entertainer". Deccan Chronicle. http://www.deccanchronicle.com/entertainment/movie-reviews/190816/happy-bhag-jayegi-movie-review-a-perfect-family-entertainer.html. Retrieved 5 March 2017.
- ↑ Happy Bhag Jayegi review: Diana Penty brims with potential; film is funny, but forgettable. Firstpost (19 August 2016). Retrieved on 5 March 2017.
- ↑ "lucknow-central-diana-penty-character-inspires-her-to-volunteer-for-an-ngo-farhan-akhtar-watch-video-4851079/". Daily News and Analysis. 19 September 2017. http://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/bollywood/lucknow-central-diana-penty-character-inspires-her-to-volunteer-for-an-ngo-farhan-akhtar-watch-video-4851079/. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- ↑ "Confirmed! Abhay Deol and Diana Penty's 'Happy Bhaag Jayegi' to have a sequel!". Daily News and Analysis. 15 February 2017. http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report-confirmed-abhay-deol-and-diana-penty-s-happy-bhaag-jayegi-to-have-a-sequel-2323536. Retrieved 5 March 2017.
- ↑ Sharma, Abhishek (20 June 2017). Diana Penty starts prepping up for 'Parmanu'.. DNA India. Retrieved on 28 June 2017.
- ↑ My Personal Style Is Casual And Simple: Diana Penty. Businessofcinema.com (18 April 2013). Retrieved on 20 April 2013.
- ↑ Sharma, Suruchi (25 October 2013). "Diana Penty’s phone is her all-time companion". The Times of India. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-10-25/news-interviews/34708543_1_windows-phone-diana-penty-apps. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- ↑ Vogue July 2012 Cover: Diana Penty. Vogue. Retrieved on 16 February 2013.
- ↑ Diana Penty on Elle India – October 2012. Indicine. Retrieved on 8 August 2013.
- ↑ Diana on Verve. Retrieved on 16 February 2013.
- ↑ Diana Penty unveils Women's Health magazine's double issue. Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved on 20 April 2013.
- ↑ Beauty Secrets of our cover girl Diana Penty. Grazia. Retrieved on 16 February 2013.
- ↑ Kumar, Anjali. Diana Penty in Stella McCartney on cover of Femina May 2013 issue. Retrieved on 20 April 2013.
- ↑ Diana Penty At VOGUE BEAUTY AWARDS 2012 In Mumbai 2. Rediff.com. Retrieved on 30 September 2013.
- ↑ Saandhu, Kiaara (7 December 2012). Best Debut Female in 2012 at " UK Bollywood Cosmopolitan Awards " goes to Diana Penty for Cocktail....Congrats !!!. Twitter. Retrieved on 12 November 2013.
- ↑ Big Star Awards 2012 / 2013 – Winners, Nominations. Indicine (17 December 2012). Retrieved on 2 February 2014.
- ↑ Bollywood Business Awards 2012. ETC Bollywood Business. 7 January 2013. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRWFUBFVTxQ&feature=youtu.be&t=28m1s. Retrieved 3 February 2014. "Event occurs at 28:01"
- ↑ Diana Penty—Awards. Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 20 October 2013. Retrieved on 2 October 2013.
- ↑ Behrawala, Krutika (11 January 2013). "Screen Awards nominations 2012: 'Quote-unquote'". The Indian Express. http://archive.indianexpress.com/news/screen-awards-nominations-2012-quoteunquote/1057483/0. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- ↑ Best Actor Debut Female. Zee TV. 6 January 2013. http://www.zeecineawards.com/2013/videos/best-actor-debut-female-2.html. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- ↑ 46.0 46.1 Star Guild Awards — Nominees. Star Guild Awards. Retrieved on 2 October 2013.
- ↑ Nominations for IIFA Awards 2013. Bollywood Hungama (22 April 2013). Retrieved on 22 April 2013.
- ↑ https://www.bizasialive.com/big-zee-entertainment-awards-nominations-list/
- ↑ https://www.easterneye.eu/winners-lux-golden-rose-awards-2017/
- ↑ https://m.photos.timesofindia.com/awards/awards-and-honours/11th-geospa-asiaspa-india-awards/articleshow/63891451.cms
- ↑ "Deepika, John and Diana rock the Grazia awards". Filmfare. 6 April 2013. http://www.filmfare.com/photos/deepika-and-john-rock-the-grazia-awards-2794-5.html#photos. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- ↑ Diana Penty Most Desirable Woman at No.25. Firstpost (29 May 2013). Retrieved on 2 October 2013.
- ↑ Priya Gupta, Garima Sharma (29 August 2013). "The most promising newcomer female for 2012 is". The Times of India. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-08-29/news-interviews/41539535_1_wasseypur-bollywood-august-30. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- Tandan, Raedita (20 March 2013). ""I won’t wear a bikini or get intimate on screen" - Diana Penty". Filmfare. http://www.filmfare.com/interviews/i-wont-wear-a-bikini-or-get-intimate-on-screen-diana-penty-2648.html. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Diana Penty|