Diana Penty (pronounced [ɖaːjnaː peːnʈiː]; born 2 November 1985) is an Indian model and film actress who appears in Bollywood films. In 2005, she began a full-time modelling career when she was signed up by Elite Models India. Penty soon established a successful career as a model after walking the ramp for many of India's top designers and endorsing prominent brands. She made her acting debut in Homi Adajania's commercially successful romantic comedy Cocktail alongside Saif Ali Khan and Deepika Padukone, and gained appreciation for her performance. She was a participant on Bigg Boss 9.
Penty was born on 2 November 1985 in Mumbai to a Parsi father and a Christian mother. She attended St. Agnes High School in Mumbai, and graduated with a bachelor's degree in Mass Media from St. Xavier's College.
Modelling career (2005–11)
According to Penty, her career in modelling happened by chance, when she sent her modelling photos to Elite Models India, who liked her work and suggested she take on assignments. At this stage, she was in college, and was reluctant to take on a career in modelling, so Penty decided to work part-time as a fashion model.
In 2005, she officially started to work under Elite Models India, and made her runway debut at the Indo-Italian Festival for Italian designers Nicola Trussardi and Gianfranco Ferré. Thereafter, Penty walked the ramp for many of India's top designers, like Wendell Rodricks, Rohit Bal and Rina Dhaka. By 2007, she had established a successful modelling career after appearing in print campaigns for some of India's most prominent brands, including Tribhovandas Bhimji Zaveri, Parachute and Westside; as well as featuring on the covers of India's popular fashion magazines.
The following year, she hit the international circuit when she began to endorse globally renowned brands like Maybelline, Garnier and Forever 21; CEO of Elite Models India Sushma Puri commented, "Diana has a face that is very versatile and appeals to both Indian and international markets and she is also young, beautiful and confident. This makes her the ideal choice for any international brand." At this point, Penty started to receive film offers, though believed herself to be too inexperienced, and rejected them to focus on her modelling career. From 2008 to 2010, Penty established herself internationally after modelling for fashion weeks in Paris and New York.
Debut and film breakthrough (2012–present)
Penty was originally slated to make her Bollywood debut in 2011 with Imtiaz Ali's Rockstar opposite Ranbir Kapoor, although she rejected the film due to her modelling commitments at the time and was subsequently replaced by Nargis Fakhri. She was later signed on to Homi Adajania's Cocktail instead; at Ali's suggestion. Cast alongside Saif Ali Khan and Deepika Padukone, the film received mixed to positive reviews. Penty's portrayal of Meera, a simple Indian girl with traditional values was well received by critics. Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama commented that "Diana, who makes her acting debut, gets to portray a rather difficult character for her debut film. There's a very disarming kind of innocence that she brings to the role and she impresses a great deal." Raja Sen agreed, mentioning that she is "refreshingly natural". Anupama Chopra added that "Diana is saddled with the most colourless character but [...] infuses her role with a quiet poise and holds her own." Noted writer Shobhaa De also wrote positively, saying that "Diana Penty's debut rates amongst the best in recent times. Not only is the girl absolutely lovely but she can act! That's a bonus. Nobody expects actual acting prowess from our lissome models — well, here's one with a terrific future." Further, her performance earned her nominations for best debut and best supporting actress at numerous Indian award ceremonies. The film also emerged as a box office hit.
In the media
Penty has also featured on several magazine covers, such as the July 2012 issue of Vogue, the October 2012 issue of Elle, the January 2013 issue of Verve, the January/February 2013 issue of Women's Health India, the February 2013 issue of Grazia, the May 2013 issue of Femina, among others.
Diana is currently dating a diamond merchant Harsh Sagar.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2016||Happy Bhaag Jayegi||Happy||Filming|
Awards and nominations
|2012||Cocktail||Vogue Beauty Awards||Female Debut||Won|
|UK Bollywood Cosmopolitan Awards||Best Debut (Female)||Won|
|BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor (Film) Debut - Female||Nominated|
|2013||ETC Bollywood Business Awards||Most Profitable Debut (Female)||Nominated|
|Filmfare Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Most Promising Newcomer – Female||Nominated|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Star Guild Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Best Actress in a Supporting Role||Nominated|
|International Indian Film Academy Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
- 2013: Grazia Face of the Year
- 2013: Times of India's Most Desirable Woman of 2012 #25
- 2013: Times of India's 10 Most Promising Newcomers 2012-Female #10
- ↑ Diana Penty. Fashion Model Directory. Retrieved on 2 October 2013.
- ↑ Agrawal, Rati (27 April 2013). Bollywood Celebs with Inter-Faith Parents. iDiva. Retrieved on 4 February 2014.
- ↑ Jajoo, Amar A. (8 February 2013). "Bollywood actors who have good academic background". The Times of India. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-02-08/news-interviews/36992540_1_omi-vaidya-actors-new-york-film. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- ↑ Ajmera, Ankit (29 August 2012). "Diana Penty has a huge appetite for desserts". The Times of India. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-08-26/fitness/32941456_1_diana-penty-gym-fitness. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- ↑ Sharma, Viseshika (January 2013). "Flaming Blush". Verve. http://www.verveonline.com/116/fashion/flaming.shtml. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- ↑ Hari, Veena (21 September 2006). These faces have made their mark. Rediff.com. Retrieved on 30 September 2013.
- ↑ "Acting is more demanding, says Diana Penty". Hindustan Times. 30 January 2013. http://www.hindustantimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/acting-is-more-demanding-says-diana-penty/article1-1003987.aspx. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- ↑ Debut Deck: Diana Penty. MSN (11 July 2012). Retrieved on 28 June 2014.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Singh, Prashant (18 June 2009). "Indian sizzler for New York fashion runway". India Today. http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/Indian+sizzler+for+New+York+fashion+runway/1/47109.html. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- ↑ "Indian model Diana Penty is new brand ambassador of Maybelline". Thaindian News. 12 December 2008. http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/entertainment/indian-model-diana-penty-is-new-brand-ambassador-of-maybelline_100125997.html. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- ↑ "Diana replaces Deepika as a brand ambassador!". The Indian Express. 22 December 2008. http://archive.indianexpress.com/news/diana-replaces-deepika-as-a-brand-ambassador-/401417/0. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- ↑ Singh, Prashant (9 July 2012). "Diana Penty quits ramp for Bollywood". Hindustan Times. http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/Diana-Penty-quits-ramp-for-Bollywood/Article1-885571.aspx. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- ↑ Prabhu, Vidya (21 August 2009). "Models in India are very impatient, says Diana Penty". Daily News and Analysis. http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report-models-in-india-are-very-impatient-says-diana-penty-1284321. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- ↑ Saini, Minakshi (21 July 2012). Rockstar was offered to me first: Diana Penty. Retrieved on 3 December 2012.
- ↑ Ranbir's girl goes to Saif (6 April 2011). Retrieved on 26 May 2012.
- ↑ Adarsh, Taran (13 July 2012). Cocktail (2012) Review. Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved on 29 June 2013.
- ↑ Sen, Raja (13 July 2012). Review: Cocktail is let down by its inane plot. Rediff.com. Retrieved on 4 February 2014.
- ↑ Chopra, Anupama (13 July 2012). "Anupama Chopra's review: Cocktail". Hindustan Times. http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertainment/Reviews/Anupama-Chopra-s-review-Cocktail/Article1-888616.aspx. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- ↑ De, Shobhaa (16 July 2012). "What’s a cocktail without a kick?". The Times of India. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/people/Whats-a-cocktail-without-a-kick/articleshow/14951258.cms. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- ↑ Box Office Earnings 10/08/12 - 16/08/12. Box Office India. Archived from the original on 26 January 2014. Retrieved on 9 September 2013.
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 "‘Happy Bhaag Jayegi’ shoot brings traffic to a halt". The Tribune. 26 September 2015. http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/cities/amritsar/-happy-bhaag-jayegi-shoot-brings-traffic-to-a-halt/137952.html. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- ↑ My Personal Style Is Casual And Simple: Diana Penty. Businessofcinema.com (18 April 2013). Retrieved on 20 April 2013.
- ↑ Sharma, Suruchi (25 October 2013). "Diana Penty’s phone is her all-time companion". The Times of India. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-10-25/news-interviews/34708543_1_windows-phone-diana-penty-apps. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- ↑ Vogue July 2012 Cover: Diana Penty. Vogue. Retrieved on 16 February 2013.
- ↑ Diana Penty on Elle India – October 2012. Indicine. Retrieved on 8 August 2013.
- ↑ Diana on Verve. Retrieved on 16 February 2013.
- ↑ Diana Penty unveils Women's Health magazine's double issue. Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved on 20 April 2013.
- ↑ Beauty Secrets of our cover girl Diana Penty. Grazia. Retrieved on 16 February 2013.
- ↑ Kumar, Anjali. Diana Penty in Stella McCartney on cover of Femina May 2013 issue. Retrieved on 20 April 2013.
- ↑ Diana Penty: I'm not getting married - The Times of India. Retrieved on 2015-10-13.
- ↑ Diana Penty At VOGUE BEAUTY AWARDS 2012 In Mumbai 2. Rediff.com. Retrieved on 30 September 2013.
- ↑ Saandhu, Kiaara (7 December 2012). Best Debut Female in 2012 at " UK Bollywood Cosmopolitan Awards " goes to Diana Penty for Cocktail....Congrats !!!. Twitter. Retrieved on 12 November 2013.
- ↑ Big Star Awards 2012 / 2013 – Winners, Nominations. Indicine (17 December 2012). Retrieved on 2 February 2014.
- ↑ Bollywood Business Awards 2012. ETC Bollywood Business. 7 January 2013. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRWFUBFVTxQ&feature=youtu.be&t=28m1s. Retrieved 3 February 2014. "Event occurs at 28:01"
- ↑ Diana Penty—Awards. Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 23 February 2014. Retrieved on 2 October 2013.
- ↑ Behrawala, Krutika (11 January 2013). "Screen Awards nominations 2012: 'Quote-unquote'". The Indian Express. http://archive.indianexpress.com/news/screen-awards-nominations-2012-quoteunquote/1057483/0. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- ↑ Best Actor Debut Female. Zee TV. 6 January 2013. http://www.zeecineawards.com/2013/videos/best-actor-debut-female-2.html. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- ↑ 38.0 38.1 Star Guild Awards — Nominees. Star Guild Awards. Retrieved on 2 October 2013.
- ↑ Nominations for IIFA Awards 2013. Bollywood Hungama (22 April 2013). Retrieved on 22 April 2013.
- ↑ "Deepika, John and Diana rock the Grazia awards". Filmfare. 6 April 2013. http://www.filmfare.com/photos/deepika-and-john-rock-the-grazia-awards-2794-5.html#photos. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- ↑ "Diana Penty Most Desirable Woman at No.25". First Post. 29 May 2013. http://www.firstpost.com/topic/bollywood/diana-penty-diana-penty-most-desirable-woman-at-no25-video-3sYuknoD3wI-122335-1.html. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- ↑ Priya Gupta, Garima Sharma (29 August 2013). "The most promising newcomer female for 2012 is". The Times of India. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-08-29/news-interviews/41539535_1_wasseypur-bollywood-august-30. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- Tandan, Raedita (20 March 2013). ""I won’t wear a bikini or get intimate on screen" - Diana Penty". Filmfare. http://www.filmfare.com/interviews/i-wont-wear-a-bikini-or-get-intimate-on-screen-diana-penty-2648.html. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Diana Penty|