|This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.|
|The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for academics. (May 2012)|
Deepak Shimkhada (born September 1945), is an academic who has taught and written about Asian culture, art, and philosophy.
He received an M.A. in art history from University of Southern California with a thesis on "Nepali paintings and the Rājput style with special reference to the paintings at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
He joined Scripps College in Claremont, California as a visiting professor in 1981, and finally received his Ph.D from Claremont Graduate University (then Graduate School) in 2002, with a thesis on "Images in context : classification of religious art"
Shimkhada's publications cover a wide range of subjects including art history, religion, cultural and religious anthropology, and social commentaries.
- 2011 Nepal: Nostalgia and Modernity, Marg publications, Mumbai, India.
- 2008 The Constant and Changing Faces of the Goddess—Goddess Traditions of Asia (Deepak Shimkhada and Phyllis K. Herman edited), Cambridge Scholars Press, Cambridge, England.
- Review, by Cuong T Mai Religious Studies Review, 37, no. 3 (2011)
- 1987 Himalayas at the Crossroads: Portrait of a Changing World (edited), Pacific Asia Museum: Pasadena, California.
- 1985 Popular Buddhist Mantras in Sanskrit (co-authored with Shih Pei Lai), Mahayana Vihara Press: Taipei.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- 2008 “The Future of Nepal’s “Living” Goddess: Is Her Death Necessary?” Asian Art, (http://www.asianart.com/articles/kumari/index.html)
- 2007 “Oil Lamps as Expressions of Devotion,” Marg (Mumbai, India), pp. 102–103.
- 1990 "Wind Horses: Prayer Flags in the Himalayas," Arts of Asia, (Hong Kong) Oct-Nov.
- 1989 "Narayana: The Sleeping Vishnu" in Arts of Asia (Hong Kong), Vol. 19, No. 1 (January–February), pp. 152–155.
- 1986 "Interaction between Painting and Architecture in Nepali Art," Himalayan Research Bulletin (New York: Cornell University), Vol. 6, No. 1, Winter, PP. 20–22.
- 1984 "The Masquerading Sun: A Unique Image from Nepal," Artibus Asiae Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 223–230.
- 1984 "Pratapamalla's Pilgrimage: An Historical Painting from Nepal," Oriental Art (London), Vol. 30, No. 4, Winter pp. 368–70.
- 1984 "Museum without Walls: Wayside Sculptures in the Kathmandu Valley," Arts of Asia (Hong Kong), Vol. 14, No. 4, July–August, pp. 97–100.
- 1983 "A Preliminary Study of the Game of Karma in India, Nepal, and Tibet," Artibus Asiae Vol. LXIV, No. 4, pp. 308–322.
- 1983 "The Sunken Bath of Siddhinarasimha Malla in Patan," Orientations, Vol. 14, No. 7, July, pp. 46–49.
- 1982 "Measure of Karma: Origin and Iconography of Nagapasa in Nepali Painting," Himalayan Research Bulletin, Cornell University: Vol. 11, No. 1, Winter, pp. 12–16.
- 1973 "Nepali Paintings and the Rajput Style," Arts of Asia, Vol. 4, No. 5, September- October, pp. 38–43.
- 1970 "An Introduction to Nepalese Art," NAFA Art Magazine (Kathmandu, Nepal), Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 23–28.
- 1992 "The Tibetan Rug: The Nepalese Connection," Woven Jewels: Tibetan Rugs from Southern California Collections Pacific Asia Museum, Pasadena, California.
- 1982 God, Man, Woman, and Nature in Asian Art, Scripps College: Claremont, CA, (21 pp.)
- 1973 Exhibition of Nepali Art, Pomona College, Montgomery Art Gallery, Claremont, (24 pages).
- 1973 USC Collects: A Sampling of Taste (five entries), University of Southern California: (Los Angeles, California).
- 2010 “Shamanic Healing: A Jhankri in the City,” Health and Religious Rituals in South Asia, edited by Fabrizio M. Ferrari, Routledge Publishers.
- 2008 “Goma: An Embodiment of the Goddess” The Constant and Changing Faces of the Goddess: Goddess Traditions of Asia (edited by Deepak Shimkhada and Phyllis K. Herman) Cambridge Scholars Press.
- 2005 “Being in Love with God is not Enough: Social Reform by Basavanna Through Bhakti,” Vijayanagara: Sangama—Confluence of Art and Architecture (ed. Nalini Rao), Originals, Delhi.
- ↑ Shimkhada, Deepak (1974). Nepali paintings and the Rājput style with special reference to the paintings at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. 1974 Aug.. pp. 118. http://www.worldcat.org/title/nepali-paintings-and-the-rajput-style-with-special-reference-to-the-paintings-at-the-los-angeles-county-museum-of-art/oclc/79823107&referer=brief_results.
- ↑ 
- ↑ WorldCat
- ↑ WorldCat
- ↑ WorldCat
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- biography at Claremont Graduate University
- biography at asianart.com
- biography at South Asian Studies Association
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Deepak Shimkhada, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.