Daniel Beckwitt (born 1991) is an American security researcher, phone phreak, convicted computer criminal and grey hat hacker known for presenting work on digital currency, anti-computer forensics and signals intelligence at computer security conferences including DEF CON, Shmoocon and Skytalks.
”ECE Hacker” Incident
Beckwitt was arrested on January 18, 2013 a joint operation by the FBI, Urbana, Illinois Police and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Police Department involving simultaneous search warrant execution, and booked into Champaign County, Illinois Jail on the charge of Aggrivated Computer Tampering. He was alleged to have been responsible for the University's largest hacking incident, a string of bizarre hacking pranks stretching several months, the perpetrator of which became known as the "ECE Hacker" on social media website Reddit. The incidents included rescheduling exams, defacing course webpages, sending unauthorized massmails, and compromising the University's electronic lock system. There was no known motive for the attacks.
Beckwitt refused to talk during interrogation and posted $1,000 bail after two days in jail.
On June 3rd, 2013 he entered into a plea agreement to a single charge of Computer Fraud under 720 ILCS 5/17-50(2). At sentencing presiding Judge Heidi Ladd said Beckwitt "knowingly obtained use of a computer with the intent of devising a scheme used for deception".
The U.S. Attorney for the Central District of Illinois refused to press federal charges for the incidents. 
- ↑ Former ECE student charged with hacking professor’s account - The Daily Illini : Campus
- ↑ Circuit Clerk of Champaign County, Illinois
- ↑ Former UI student charged with computer fraud, criminal damage to property | News-Gazette.com
- ↑ DEF CON® 19 Hacking Conference - Speakers
- ↑ ShmooCon 2013 - February 15-17 - ShmooCon 2012
- ↑ http://www.khanfu.com/m/iphone/21/event/1559
- ↑ http://www.luckyinvestigations.com/radio.html
- ↑ http://llinoishomepage.net/fulltext?nxd_id=455542
- ↑ http://osdir.com/ml/security-news-computers/2013-01/msg00048.html
- ↑ “ECE hacker” pleads guilty to charge of computer fraud - The Daily Illini : Campus
- ↑ PASS - Public Access Case Lookup System. Secure.jtsmith.com. Retrieved on 2013-06-05.
- ↑ Former UI student arrested in computer incidents, building damage | News-Gazette.com
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Daniel Beckwitt, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.