Cargolux Flight 7933 was a cargo flight which was involved in an accident on 21 January 2010 in which it landed on a vehicle that was on an active runway. The vehicle suffered major damage while the aircraft had damage to a tyre. Three investigations were launched into the incident. The cause was found to be errors by Air Traffic Control.
Cargolux Flight 7933 departed from Hong Kong International Airport on Barcelona Airport on 20 January 2010 bound for Luxembourg - Findel Airport via Heydar Aliyev International Airport, Baku, Azerbaijan and Barcelona Airport, Spain. On the final leg, there were two crew and one passenger on board. On arrival at Luxembourg it was cleared to land on runway 24. The weather at the time was foggy, with visibility down to 100 metres (110 yd) and a runway visual range of 350 metres (380 yd). At 12:53 local time (11:53 UTC), one of the aircraft's tyres came into contact with the roof of a van which was on the runway while maintenance of the runway lighting was performed. The driver of the van suffered from shock as a result of the collision. The van was severely damaged, with the roof pushed in and a lighting bar destroyed. A tyre on the aircraft was also damaged. The METAR in force at the time of the incident was ELLX 211150Z 12003KT 0100 R24/0350N FG OVC001 01/01 Q1020 NOSIG 
On 9 February 2010, disciplinary action was started against the controllers on duty at the time the accident occurred. The need for the van to be on the runway at a time of low visibility is also being investigated.
Luxembourg's Ministry of transport stated that three investigations into the incident had been launched. It did not state whether the van had permission to be on the active runway or not. The investigations are being carried out by Luxembourg's Administration Des Enquêtes Techniques, Directorate of Civil Aviation and Administration of Air Navigation (AET). A preliminary report revealed that the van had been given permission to be on the active runway. The clearance had been issued before Flight 7933 started its approach. Flight 7933 also had permission to land on the runway that the van was on. Representatives from the NTSB and the Association Luxembourgeoise des Pilotes de Ligne assisted the AET in their investigation. The event was initially classed by the AET as an accident but was downgraded to a serious incident as the damage to the aircraft involved was not structural.
The AETs final report into the incident was released on 10 December 2012. The report revealed that the cause of the incident was errors by Air Traffic Control (ATC). The van had been instructed to vacate the runway but ATC had failed to confirm that the instruction had been received and executed before giving the aircraft permission to land. The van and aircraft were using different radio frequencies and therefore each was unaware of the other. A failure to use standard radio phraseology was found to have been a contributory factor in the incident. The van had been seen by the crew just before they landed but it was assessed that a collision would still have occurred had a go-around been initiated. Twelve recommendations were made in the AETs final report. These included the installation of equipment that was capable of recording ATC communications with at least the previous 24 hours recordings being retained. 
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Landing Cargolux 747 hits van on Luxembourg runway. Flight Global. Retrieved on 23 January 2010.
- ↑ Cargolux International Airlines. Aviation Photography. Retrieved on 23 January 2010.[dead link]
- ↑ LX-OCV Cargolux Airlines International Boeing 747-4R7F(SCD) - cn 29731 / ln 1222. Planespotters. Retrieved on 23 January 2010.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Final report on a collision between a Cargolux Boeing 747-400F registered LX-OCV and a maintenance van at Luxembourg Airport (ELLX) on 21 January 2010, 11:53 UTC. Administration des Enquêtes Techniques (10 December 2012). Retrieved on 28 December 2012.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Hradecky, Simon. Incident: Cargolux B744 at Luxemburg on Jan 21st 2010, touched van on runway during landing. The Aviation Herald. Retrieved on 23 January 2010.
- ↑ METAR translation: METAR for Luxembourg - Findel Airport, issued on the 21st of the month at 11:50 UTC. Wind from 120° at 3 knots. Visibility 100m, Runway 24 runway visual range 350 metres. Fog, overcast at 100 metres. Temperature 1°C, dewpoint 1°C. QNH 1020 hPa, No significant change expected.
- ↑ Cargolux plane accident at Luxembourg Airport. Station. Retrieved on 23 January 2010.
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Cargolux Flight 7933, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.