Caleb Lawrence McGillvary (born 1988), also known as Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker and Caleb Kai Lawrence Yodhehwawheh, is a man initially known for using a hatchet to defend against a man claiming to be Jesus. He is also a suspect in a New Jersey murder.
McGillvary has claimed that he was raised in a fundamentalist-Christian-cult, that his parents had been divorced, and that he had been molested in his youth. He has also stated that he took on the name "Kai" after taking part in a "spirit walk"while living on a Native American reservation. Prior to the incident in Fresno in 2013, McGillvary had been living as a transient, which he has described as "homefree". McGillvary has claimed to have been from Sophia, West Virginia, but later stated that he was born during 1988 in Western Canada.
In February 2013 McGillvary (identifying himself in the video only as "Kai") was videotaped giving an interview where he described his part in an incident where a man drove his car into a Pacific Gas and Electric employee in Fresno, California. The man, later identified as Jett Simmons McBride, claimed that he was Jesus and that he had been sent to save the earth shortly before attacking a female present at the site. McGillvary, who had been riding as a passenger in the car with McBride, hit him in the head with a hatchet in order to stop McBride's attack, which proved to be successful. The full version of the interview, during which McGillvary described the incident in further detail, was posted to the internet and went viral. McGillvary later testified against McBride when he was brought to court.
On May 16, 2013, an arrest warrant was issued for McGillvary for suspicion of the murder of New Jersey attorney Joseph Galfy Jr. Galfy had been discovered dead in his Clark home wearing only underwear and socks. Police had been sent to the property after Galfy had not shown up to work or answered his cell phone. Galfy's home showed no evidence of having been broken into and there was no evidence of theft. An autopsy showed that he had died due to a blunt force trauma on May 13, 2013. The victim had met McGillvary in Times Square in New York City two days prior to his death. McGillvary had last been seen at the a light-rail station in the Haddonfield area and prosecutors stated that they believed that he had cut his hair in order to alter his appearance and avoid detection.
On May 14 McGillvary posted a message onto Facebook stating that he had been raped and asking his Facebook followers what they would do. One follower mentioned that he would "beat the man with a hatchet", which McGillvary responded that he liked the man's idea. It was not specifically stated whether Galfy had been the individual that McGillvary had assaulted by or when the attack occurred.
McGillvary was arrested on May 16 at a Philadelphia bus terminal by the Philadelphia Police. His bail was set at $3 million and upon extradition to New Jersey, will reside in the Union County Jail in Elizabeth, New Jersey.
- ↑ Famed 'hatchet hitchhiker' arrested in NJ homicide. Fresno Bee. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Behind The Hero: Kai The Hatchet-Wielding Hitchhiker Gives Intimate Interview About ‘Dark’ Past. Mediaite. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ Kimmel Picks Up Kai The Hatchet-Wielding ‘Homefree’ Hitchhiker For Exclusive Interview. Mediaite. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ Hitchhiker Kai, sought in New Jersey slaying, is arrested. Fresno Bee. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ Viral star Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker wanted for murder. LA Times. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 CATCHING UP WITH KAI, THE HATCHET-WIELDING HITCHHIKER. Vice. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ Viral Mystery Revealed: The Real Kai, Hatchet-Wielding Hitchhiker. Mashable. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ The Real Kai, Hatchet-Wielding Hithchiker, a KMPH Exclusive. YouTube. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ Tacoma man jailed in Fresno. News Tribune. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ MUST SEE: Amazing Interview With Hatchet-Wielding Homeless Hitchhiker Who Took Down Man Claiming To Be Jesus. Mediaite. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ Viral Celebrity Kai the Hitchhiker Wanted for Murder. Mashable. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Hitchhiker Kai, sought in New Jersey slaying, is arrested. Fresno Bee. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ The rise and fall of 'Kai', New Jersey's Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker. Independent. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ Police hunt internet's 'hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' for murder. Guardian. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ Killing of Clark attorney followed Times Square meet-up with famed hitchhiker 'Kai,' police say. NJ.com (The Star Ledger). Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker, aka Caleb Lawrence McGillvary, arrested for murder. News.com.au. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ 'Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker' arrested in Clark man's murder. ABC Local. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
- ↑ Authorities: YouTube Star Arrested, Charged In Clark, N.J. Murder. CBS Local. Retrieved on 17 May 2013.
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Caleb Lawrence McGillvary, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.