The Brough Family Organization is a non-profit ancestral family organization and surname association that researches and published information on the ancestors and descendants of the Broughs of the British Isles. According to its mission statement, the organization exists to “engage in genealogical and historical research throughout the world in behalf of the ancestors, descendants and relatives of the Broughs of the British Isles--with specific emphasis on the ancestors, descendants and relatives of Richard Brough [1786-1873] and Mary Horleston of Staffordshire, England.” It is one of the largest and oldest non-profit ancestral family organizations in existence, having held family reunions in Utah, USA, since the 1890’s.
The Brough Family Organization was first incorporated in Utah in 1969 as the Samuel Richard Brough Family Organization. In 1983 it was enlarged and changed its name to the Richard Brough Family Organization (RBFO)--after Richard Brough (1786-1873) who served for 17 years in the British army and was an early English convert to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS). Today the Brough Family Organization (BFO) operates under the direction and support of the RBFO--an IRS approved 501(c)(3) charitable organization.
Publications, projects, and recognitions
Since 1980, the Brough Family Organization has published nearly a dozen books containing extensive genealogical data and historical information on the ancestors and descendants of the Broughs of the British Isles.
In the 1980’s the Brough Family Organization was one of the first ancestral family organizations to provide its lineage-linked database for testing and inclusion in what eventually became known as the Ancestral File of the LDS Church. In 2010, the Brough Family Organization was listed by LDS FamilySearch as an exemplary ancestral family organization.
Currently the BFO conducts extensive research and specialized extraction projects on the genealogies and histories of many Brough families and their ancestors and descendants on four continents. It also sponsors an International Brough DNA Genealogy Project, produces genealogical and historical publications and videos, identifies military memorials, erects historical monuments, preserves ancient family documents, and encourages young people to get involved in family history work. Some of the genealogical activities and historical projects undertaken by the BFO and its members have been well publicized.
Membership in the Brough Family Organization is automatic and free for all descendants of the Broughs of the British Isles, who now number over 10,000 and are found in England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and the United States.
- ↑ RBFO Articles of Incorporation, Article 3, Section B, http://www.broughfamily.org/finances.html
- ↑ Brough Family Reunions, Past and Future, 1891-2015, http://www.broughfamily.org/reunions.html
- ↑ BFO History, 1969-Present, http://www.broughfamily.org/officers.html
- ↑ History of Richard Brough (b.1786) and Mary Horleston (b.1799) and their Descendants, 2004, http://www.broughfamily.org/history/brough_horleston.html
- ↑ IRS Exempt Organizations Select Check: Richard Brough Family Organization, http://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/pub78Search.do?ein1=94-2612574&names=&city=&state=All...&country=US&deductibility=all&dispatchMethod=searchCharities&submitName=Search
- ↑ Previous BFO Publications, 1980-2012, http://www.broughfamily.org/publications.html
- ↑ History of the Ancestral File, by FamilySearch, https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Ancestral_File
- ↑ Create and Maintain Family Associations or Organizations, by FamilySearch, https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Create_and_Maintain_Family_Associations_or_Organizations
- ↑ BFO On-Going Research Projects, http://www.broughfamily.org/research.html
- ↑ Surname Index and Relationship Project, http://www.broughfamily.org/research_methods.html
- ↑ BFO Genealogies databases, http://www.broughfamily.org/genealogies.html
- ↑ Brough Histories and Genealogies, http://www.broughfamily.org/histories.html
- ↑ International Brough DNA Genealogy Project, http://www.broughfamily.org/dna_project.html
- ↑ BFO Publications, http://www.broughfamily.org/publications.html
- ↑ A Thousand Years of Brough Family History, http://www.broughfamily.org/family_history_video.html
- ↑ Brough Military Memorials, http://www.broughfamily.org/military.html
- ↑ Erecting and Preserving Historical Brough Monuments, http://www.broughfamily.org/monuments.html
- ↑ Preservation of Ancient Family Documents, http://www.broughfamily.org/preservation_of_documents.html
- ↑ Youth and Family History, LDS Church, https://www.lds.org/youth/family-history?lang=eng
- ↑ RBFO Contribution to the Staffordshire England Record Office, http://www.broughfamily.org/publicity.html
- ↑ “Family History in 37 Minutes”, Deseret News newspaper, March 4, 2010, http://www.broughfamily.org/images/rbfo/family_history_video_news_article_4_Mar_2010.JPG
- ↑ “Family History Moments: Overseas Connection”, (LDS) Church News, Deseret News newspaper, May 15, 2004, http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/45556/Family-history-moments-Overseas-connection.html
- ↑ “A Thousand Years of Family History”, YouTube videos in four parts, http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=BD2585B808562AAB
- ↑ Membership in the Brough Family Organization, http://www.broughfamily.org/membership.html
- ↑ International members of the Brough Family Organization, http://www.broughfamily.org/members.html
- ↑ Brough Family Reunions, Past and Present, http://www.broughfamily.org/reunions.html
- ↑ 2005 International Brough Reunion in Utah, http://www.broughfamily.org/reunion_2005.html
- ↑ 2010 International Brough Reunion in Utah, http://www.broughfamily.org/reunion_2010.html
- ↑ 2008 International Brough Reunion in England, http://www.broughfamily.org/reunion_2008.html
-  at Brough Family Organization website - with information about Brough Family history.
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Brough Family Organization, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.