Amber Lee Ettinger (born October 2, 1982) is an American actress, internet celebrity, and model. She first rose to fame as Obama Girl in her Internet video "I Got a Crush... on Obama", in which she expressed her admiration of then-U.S. Senator Barack Obama. The video led to numerous sketch comedy appearances and interviews on Saturday Night Live, Geraldo at Large, The O'Reilly Factor, and Hannity.
A native of Hazleton, Pennsylvania, of German, Italian, Swedish and Irish ancestry, Ettinger moved to New York City to attend the Fashion Institute of Technology to study fashion and clothing design, having expressed hopes to create her own clothing line and other business ventures. She is currently a designer alongside her mother Roseann Ettinger, together they have created the "Inspired by Amber" jewelry line. Early in her career, Ettinger was crowned Miss NYC and Miss Alpine New Jersey in the 2003-2004 Miss Hawaiian Tropic pageant, later augmenting that title with a nod as Howard Stern's Miss Howard TV in June 2007. She also appeared in commercials for VH1's Pepsi Smash, Bikini Zone, and Certain Dri. She has also appeared in a video for The Onion. Ettinger was also Hooters Miss Manhattan, representing them in the 2003 International Swimsuit Pageant. She has traveled extensively around the world modeling for swimsuit, lingerie and fashion companies such as Ujena, Born, Baby Phat, Ralph Lauren, and Tommy Hilfiger. Ettinger has been featured in many publications such as Maxim, FHM, and Elle. She has graced the cover of Wired and Steppin Out magazine. Ettinger was also featured in music videos for Thalía, The John Popper Project," and Styles P.
Ettinger appeared in the "I Got a Crush... on Obama" viral video, which was posted by Barely Political to YouTube in June 2007. Later, she appeared in a new video called "Hillary! Stop the attacks! Love, Obama Girl" released on March 25, 2008. On May 7, 2008, Barely Political posted a YouTube video with Ettinger and former Democratic and Libertarian Party presidential candidate Mike Gravel, entitled "Mike Gravel Lobbies for the Obama Girl Vote." In the video, Gravel tries to persuade her to switch her support from Obama to him.
In late September 2008 Ettinger made a YouTube video with Independent candidate Ralph Nader in which he argues that he should be included in the debates. The video was a spoof of conventional sitcoms and was called "The Obama Girl and Ralph Nader Show." Also featuring former Governor of Minnesota Jesse Ventura, the video followed what would happen if Obama Girl and Ralph Nader shared an office.
In the Fall of 2008, Ettinger starred in a parody of "I Got a Crush on Obama" with a promotional video for EA's Red Alert 3. In it, she professes her allegiance to Howard Ackerman, a fictional presidential candidate played by actor J.K. Simmons. Since then she has been featured in multiple videos by Barely Political, including parodies of Jennifer Lopez, Fergie and Catwoman.
In February of the election year 2012, Ettinger collaborated with Obama impressionist Iman Crosson (Alphacat) in the PoliPop video "Glease" which was a spoof of the song "You're the One That I Want" from the film Grease and television series Glee, in which "a smitten Obama seeks the affection (read: vote) of the Obama Girl." A related music single was also released. In April 2012, "Glease" was included as part of the in-flight entertainment line-up for Virgin America airline.
Beyond her Barely Political and modeling career, in late 2008, Ettinger launched a music career. Staying true to her online roots, her first album, Queen of the Web, was made available only online. The first single, "Second Time," was released in August 2008.
On March 10, 2010, she appeared on Shear Genius as one of the models to be styled for headshots. In mid 2010, Ettinger became a correspondent on fashion for the network WPIX in NYC.
Ettinger lives in West New York, New Jersey.
Ettinger has said that she did not vote in the primary for the 2008 presidential election. but that she did vote in the 2008 general election. In 2012, she declined to state who she was supporting for President. Then again, when the host of the June 13th, 2012, Fox News Channel program "Hannity" asked the young star whether she might consider voting in the Fall 2012 election against the incumbent and the subject of her now much less intense crush, President Obama, and for the Republican Mitt Romney instead, Ettinger freely admitted, she just might. At this point in time, she told Sean Hannity, far from having decided one way or the other, "I am keeping my options open".
- ↑ Amber Lee Ettinger at the Internet Movie Database
- ↑ Tapper, Jake. of Clint Lexi and Sabrina Ettinger "Obamagirl Says 'We'll See' to Voting for Obama" ABC News. July 14, 2007
- ↑ Tribune, Cosmic  November 16, 2006 at The Cosmic Tribune
- ↑ Parker, Eloise (February 5, 2008). "Obama Girl hits New York". Daily News (New York). http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2008/02/05/2008-02-05_obama_girl_hits_new_york.html.
- ↑ Miss Howard TV - June 2007. Miss Howard TV. Archived from the original on 18 December 2007. Retrieved on 2008-01-07.
- ↑ The Onion News Network Use of 'N-Word' May End Porn Star's Career
- ↑ Pageant.com information on the 2003 Miss Hooters International Pageant. Ettinger's picture is shown. Accessed 22 January 2011.
- ↑ The John Popper Project featuring DJ Logic on YouTube
- ↑ Amber Lee Ettinger: Hillary! Stop the attacks! Love, Obama Girl.
- ↑ Mike Gravel Lobbies for the Obama Girl Vote
- ↑ Elizabeth Benjamin (2008-09-25). "Nader and Obama Girl". New York: The Daily News. Archived from the original on 30 September 2008. http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2008/09/nader-and-obama-girl.html. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- ↑ "Obama Girl Is Back! (VIDEO)" (WebCite archive), The Global Grind, February 15, 2012.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Gavin, Patrick, "Team '12: Obama Girl, Alphacat" (WebCite archive), Politico, February 14, 2012.
- ↑ "Whaat's Onboard — Channel 11" (WebCite archive of 2012-04-10), "Life" section of Virgin America Channel 11 content listing.
- ↑ Miller, Liz Shannon. "Obama Girl Gets Action Heroine Look From Shear Genius" New Teevee; March 11, 2010
- ↑ Jennifer 8. Lee (2008-02-06). "'Obama Girl' Didn’t Vote". New York: The New York Times. http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/06/obama-girl-didnt-vote/. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Gorelick, Zach (June 8, 2012). "'Obama Girl' is 'not as excited' about 2012, won't endorse Obama". The Daily Caller. http://dailycaller.com/2012/06/08/obama-girl-is-not-as-excited-about-2012-wont-endorse-obama/. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Amber Lee Ettinger|
- Amber Lee Ettinger at the Internet Movie Database
- AmberLeeOnline channel on YouTube
- Obama Girl Photo Gallery on Maxim
- Exposé on Amber Lee Ettinger in The Daily Pennsylvanian
- Tropicbeauty.com profile
- Vergani, M. (2009), YouTube e civic commercial engagement. Il caso Obama Girl e Barely Political, in «Sociologia della Comunicazione», 40/2009, pp. 131-144
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Amber Lee Ettinger, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.