|Playing position||Assistant manager|
|2004-2005||Forest Green Rovers|
Alan Lewer is an English football manager who has managed the likes of Forest Green Rovers, Weymouth and Histon. He has also worked as a coach and assistant manager at many clubs including the likes of Cambridge United, Doncaster Rovers, Crawley Town and Boston United. He is currently the assistant manager at Maltese Premier League side Floriana.
Lewer's first mangerial job was at VS Rugby who he managed for two years, eventually leaving the club in 1998. In January 1999, Lewer was appointed manager at Telford United having previously served as the assistant manager at the Shropshire club. He moved on to spend 10 months at Doncaster Rovers as assistant boss to Steve Wignall after he was appointed in June 2000. He left Doncaster in March 2001. He then became assistant manager to Steve Evans at Boston United, replacing Trevor Quow, in May 2001.
Lewer worked as Chief Scout at Chester City under Mark Wright but quit the club in February 2003 to join Nuneaton Borough as assistant manager to Steve Burr. He was appointed manager at Nuneaton Borough in May 2003 following their relegation from the Conference National, taking over from Burr. In February 2004 he stepped down as manager at Nuneaton and returned to Chester City to act as reserve team manager and Chief Scout once again.
In September 2004, Lewer was appointed manager at Forest Green Rovers, taking over from Tim Harris. He led Rovers in to the first round of the FA Cup and secured a 1-1 draw with Football League side AFC Bournemouth although would lose out in a replay a few days later. Forest Green struggled and the club were eventually relegated in April 2005 from the Conference National although would later return to the Conference after Northwich Victoria were demoted over ground grading issues. Lewer parted company with the club in April 2005.
Lewer then linked up at Crawley Town as assistant manager to John Hollins. In October 2006 Lewer parted company with Crawley along with Hollins. He then became assistant manager at Southport in January 2007 to Peter Davenport, but quit the club after just three matches.
In February 2007, Lewer joined the backroom staff at Grays Athletic as a scout. However shortly after in May 2007 he had been appointed as assistant manager to Jimmy Quinn at Cambridge United.
Lewer joined Weymouth as assistant manager in January 2008, leaving his role as assisant at Cambridge United. On 13 November 2008, Lewer took temporary charge at Weymouth after John Hollins had been sacked by the club. In January 2009 he became pernament boss on a deal until the end of the 2008-09 season with former Wales international Marcus Browning named as his assistant. Lewer had to deal with financial problems at the club which led to an exodus of players and he suggested in March 2009 that relegation may not be a bad thing for the club. He was sacked by Weymouth in April 2009 and replaced by Bobby Gould.
Lewer applied for the vacant managerial position at Cambridge United in July 2009 but was unsuccesful as Martin Ling was awarded the job.. Soon after, in August 2009, he re-joined the coaching staff at Grays Athletic for a short period. He then became assistant manager at Histon in October 2009 to first team manager Steve Fallon. In January 2010, Lewer stepped up from his role as assistant to become the first team boss and he guided the club away from relegation in the Conference National. Lewer finished with his position as manager at the club in May 2010 after his contract ran out.
- ↑ Doncaster recruit Wignall after poor season. BBC Sport (28 June 2000).
- ↑ Lewer set to leave?. South Yorkshire Times (15 March 2001).
- ↑ Alan's on board in United's plans. Boston Standard (17 May 2001).
- ↑ Lewer leaves. chester-city.co.uk (28 February 2003).
- ↑ Nuneaton appoint Lewer as new boss. Non League Daily (8 May 2003).
- ↑ Lewer back with Chester. Non League Daily (20 May 2004).
- ↑ Rovers appoint Lewer. BBC Sport (14 September 2004).
- ↑ Lewer pleased with Rovers spirit. BBC Sport (14 November 2004).
- ↑ Forest Green on the move. Telegraph (23 November 2004).
- ↑ Manager Lewer leaves Forest Green. BBC Sport (25 April 2005).
- ↑ Hollins still full of beans as he settles in at Crawley Town. Telegraph (28 November 2005).
- ↑ Manager Hollins departs Crawley. BBC Sport (30 October 2006).
- ↑ Assistant Lewer makes quick Southport exit. qlocal.co.uk (30 January 2007).
- ↑ Boylan swaps Grays for Chelmsford. BBC Sport (26 February 2007).
- ↑ Lewer is new Cambridge assistant. BBC Sport (14 May 2007).
- ↑ Lewer moves south for Terras role. BBC Sport (31 January 2008).
- ↑ Alan Lewer takes Weymouth job. thisisbristol.co.uk (2 January 2009).
- ↑ Lewer to continue as Terras boss. BBC Sport (2 January 2009).
- ↑ Relegation may be helpful - Lewer. BBC Sport (30 March 2009).
- ↑ Gould appointed Weymouth manager. BBC Sport (12 April 2009).
- ↑ Gill misses out on Cambridge Utd job. thisisgloucestershire (28 July 2009).
- ↑ Grays turmoil as manager leaves. BBC Sport (5 August 2009).
- ↑ Alan Lewer told he is no longer Histon boss. BBC Sport (18 May 2010).
- ↑ Hutch in the frame for Magpies' job. Dorset Echo (3 November 2011).
- ↑ Stephen Vaughan returns to football as Widnes FC folds. footballeditorial.com (28 August 2012).
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Alan Lewer, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.