|This article does not cite any references or sources. (September 2015)|
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. (July 2014)|
Hosted in Singapore since 2010, the forum has brought together close to 1000 business and government leaders from more than 30 countries to develop opportunities and partnerships between these two regions.
The forum is organised by International Enterprise Singapore, the government agency that drives Singapore’s external economy. Its mission is to spearhead the overseas growth of Singapore-based companies and promote international trade.
In addition to promoting export of goods and services, IE Singapore also attracts global commodities traders to establish their global or Asian home base in Singapore. Their efforts have helped grow the economy of Singapore by creating a thriving trading hub with a complete ecosystem for the energy, agri-commodities and minerals & minerals trading clusters.
Besides its main office in Singapore, IE Singapore has a global network of overseas centres (OCs) in over 35 locations spanning many developed and emerging markets. These OCs connect businesses with relevant Singapore-based companies for their business expansion.
Apart from organising the Africa Singapore Business Forum, IE Singapore also organises other flagship events such as the Latin Asia Business Forum and Dialogue, Russia-Singapore Business Forum, and the Global Trader Summit.
Speakers at past Africa Singapore Business Forums include government leaders such as S. Iswaran, Lee Yi Shyan, Tharman Shanmugaratnam, Rodolphe Adada, Olusegun Olutoyin Aganga, and Babatunde Fashola, CEOs such as James Benoit (AfrAsia Bank Limited), T. Chandroo (Modern Montessori International), Martyn Davies (Frontier Advisory), Graeme Robertson (IntrAsia Capital), Vimal Shah (BIDCO Group), V. Shankar (Europe, Middle East, Africa and Americas, Standard Chartered Bank), Benjamin Tan (ITE Education Services Pte Ltd, Singapore), Christina Tan (GMT - Investcorp Pte Ltd), Sunny Verghese (Olam International), Obiageli Ezekwesili, Shabbir H Hassanbhai, Mo Ibrahim, Navin Nahata .
Africa Singapore Business Forum 2014
The 3rd edition of the Africa Singapore Business Forum will be held on 27 and 28 August in Singapore.
The coming forum will address a wide range of critical issues on Africa’s economic landscape, provide insights into Singapore’s competitive advantages as well as identify opportunities for strategic collaboration between both regions. The panel discussions will cover topics such as consumer demand in Africa, the oil and gas boom in Africa, agri-business and food processing, and transport and logistics. The keynote speaker for ASBF 2014 will be Singapore’s Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Finance, Tharman Shanmugaratnam.
Speakers at the event include:
- Jean-Louis Billon, Minister of Commerce, Crafts and SME Promotion, Ivory Coast
- Haresh Aswani, Director, Tolaram Group
- Dr Nicholas Cooper, CEO, Ophir Energy
- Amadou Diallo, CEO, DHL Freight
- Eleni Zaude Gabre-Madhin, CEO, Eleni Exchanges
- Kola Karim, CEO, Shoreline Energy International
- Ammar Kutait, CEO, Aurora Progress S.A.
- Peter Matlare, CEO, Tiger Brands
- Venkatramani Srivathsan, Managing Director-Africa & Middle East, Olam International
- Tan Chong Meng, Group CEO, PSA International
- Ashish Thakkar, Founder, Mara Group and Mara Foundation
- Dwight Watson, Managing Director, Sub-Sahara and South Africa, Nielsen
Africa Singapore Business Forum 2012
The second Africa Singapore Business Forum was held on 29 and 30 August in Singapore, and saw an increase of 25% in attendance from the inaugural forum held in 2010. The theme for ASBF 2012 was: “Africa, A Changing Economic Landscape.”
Speakers at ASBF 2012 included:
- Rodolphe Adada, Senior Minister of Industrial Development and Private Sector Promotion, Republic of the Congo
- Babatunde Fashola, Governor, Lagos State, Nigeria
- Samuel Poghisio, Minister for Information and Communications (ICT), Kenya
- Fola Adeola, Founder, Guaranty Trust Bank, and Chairman, Main One Cable Company Ltd
- Nana Appiah-Korang, Director, Emerging Capital Partners
- James Benoit, CEO, AfrAsia Bank Limited
- Natasha Beschomer, Senior ICT Policy Specialist and Regional Coordinator for the East Asia & Pacific Region, World Bank Group
- Guy Carter, Group Marketing Manager, Nando's
- T. Chandroo, Chairman & CEO, Modern Montessori International
- Ravneer S. Chauhan, Managing Director (Africa), Olam International Ltd
- Cher Kwang Siong, Managing Director, Kheng Keng Auto Pte Ltd
- Paul Cook, Head of Acceptance for APCEMEA, Visa Worldwide Pte Ltd
- Gordon Cooper, Head of Emerging Market Solutions, Visa Worldwide Pte Ltd
- Martyn Davies, CEO, Frontier Advisory
- Andrew Grant, Director, McKinsey & Company
- Gagan Gupta, Country Head, Gabon, Olam International
- Syamal Gupta, Special Advisor, Tata International Ltd
- Shabbir H Hassanbhai, Chairman of Africa Singapore Business Forum 2012 Advisory Board, Chairman of Africa Business Group (AfBG) & Singapore’s High Commissioner to Nigeria (Non-Resident)
- Julian Hudson, Regional Manager, Political Risk & Credit, Asia Pacific, ACE Asia Pacific
- Aliou Maiga, Manager for Financial Markets, East Asia, International Finance Corporation (IFC)
- Stephan Morais, Deputy CEO, Banco Nacional de Investimento
- Navin Nahata, Group Chief Financial Officer, Tolaram Group
- Neo Gim Huay, Director, Investment, Temasek International
- Sam Ong, Group Executive Vice President & Group Deputy CEO, Hyflux
- Babatunde Onitiri, Country Manager, Singapore, International Finance Corporation
- Oluremi Oyindasola Oni, Executive Director, Origination & Client Coverage/Regional Head of Network Clients Africa, Standard Chartered Bank
- Sérgio Pimenta, Director for East Asia and the Pacific, International Finance Corporation
- Graeme Robertson, Chairman & CEO, IntrAsia Capital
- Florence Sanriki, Group Managing Director/CEO, Omatek Ventures PLC
- Richard Sezibera, Secretary General, East African Community
- Vimal Shah, CEO, BIDCO Group
- Desmond Sheehy, Managing Director, Investments, Duxton Asset Management
- Benjamin Tan, CEO, ITE Education Services Pte Ltd, Singapore & Deputy CEO (Development), Institute of Technical Education, Singapore
- Christina Tan, CEO, GMT-Investcorp Pte Ltd
- Tan Sian Lip, Vice President of Domains & Technology, CrimsonLogic Pte Ltd
- Louis Tay, Managing Director, Surbana International Consultants Pte Ltd
- Ramamurthy Thiagarajan, Regional Strategy and Operations Director, Nakumatt Holdings
Signing of MOU with IFC during ASBF 2012
IE Singapore signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, to facilitate closer business collaboration between Singapore and Africa.
Africa Singapore Business Forum 2010
The inaugural Africa Singapore Business Forum was jointly organised by IE Singapore and the Singapore Business Federation (SBF). The forum was aimed towards shedding light on the business opportunities that Africa presents because of the growing economic relations between Africa and Singapore.
The inaugural forum was attended by over 400 delegates, from 31 countries.
Two initiatives were launched at the forum to facilitate trade links with Africa:
- A MOU between Singapore Cooperation Enterprise (SCE) and Togo was signed to develop Togo’s industrial and educational sector. Alphonsus Chia, Chief Executive Officer of SCE and Mrs Dédé Ahoéfa Ekoue, Togo’s Minister for Planning, Development, Town and Country Planning, signed the MOU.
- Co-organiser SBF launched the Africa Business Group (AfBG) at the Forum. The AfBG is a business-to-business platform that aims to enhance interaction between the business communities in Africa and Singapore. Programmes to be run by SBF under the AfBG will enable Singapore businesses to establish contacts, build market knowledge, and enhance advocacy efforts.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Highlights from ASBF 2014. Africa Singapore Business Forum. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- ↑ IE Singapore's Global Footprint. IE Singapore (April 8, 2014). Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- ↑ International Enterprise Singapore (IE Singapore) Trade Promotion Organization in Asia (Member Organizations). Asian Trade Promotion Forum (2014). Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- ↑ The Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank Corporation Limited. (2008). HSBC's Guide to Cash and Treasury Management in Asia Pacific 2008. Hong Kong: PPP Company Limited.
- ↑ Flagship Events. Latin Asia Business Forum (March 28, 2014). IE Singapore. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- ↑ IE Singapore signs MOU with IFC, easing the way for Singapore businesses into Africa. IE Singapore (2012, August 29). Media Releases: IE Singapore. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- ↑ Inaugural Africa Singapore Business Forum emphasises importance of trade links with Africa Apex Business Chamber: News Room. © 2008 - 2010 Singapore Business Federation. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- ↑ Inaugural Africa Singapore Business Forum emphasises importance of trade links with Africa. IE Singapore (July 14, 2010). Media Releases: IE Singapore. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- ↑ Singapore Cooperation Enterprise Signs Memorandum of Understanding with the Republic of Togo to Share Singapore's Public Sector Expertise. Singapore Cooperation Enterprise. (2010, July 14). Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- ↑ Africa Business Group. Apex Business Chamber. Singapore Business Federation. (2010). Retrieved June 30, 2014.
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Africa Singapore Business Forum, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.