|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. (October 2014)|
|2014 Golden Gate Bridge deer crossing|
|Participants||Two deer, commuters & San Francisco Police Department|
|Date||September 5, 2014|
The 2014 Golden Gate Bridge deer crossing was an event that took place on Friday, September 5, 2014 when two deer were spotted running northbound toward Marin County across the Golden Gate Bridge. The incident caused a traffic jam during rush hour. Initial reports suggested one had been hit by a vehicle, though those claims were later dispelled. This is not the first time such an event has occurred, as deer had crossed the bridge in 2004.
The deers' gait has been alternatively described as prancing, galavanting, strolling and walking. Upon completing their way across the bridge, they veered into the hills of Marin County. Video footage of the event was captured by videographer Steve King.
The deer were first reported at 5:20 P.M., Pacific time, and highway police first received a call at 5:24. Police officials were called to the scene, however at six o' clock they were called off as the deer had safely made it across the bridge.
Tech Times writer Dianne Depra suggests the deer took the Golden Gate bridge because urban spaces are encroaching on their natural environment, which leaves animals - such as these deer - no choice but to use paved roadways to reach their destinations. One writer theorizes the deer were initially captured and being transported to another location, but escaped and made their way to the bridge.
- ↑ Deer snarl traffic on Golden Gate Bridge
- ↑ San Francisco Chronicle article
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Two Deer Shut Down Traffic In A Surreal Golden Gate Bridge Crossing
- ↑ Watch These 2 Deer Casually Prance Across the Golden Gate Bridge
- ↑ Two Deer Go For a Late Summer Walk Over the Golden Gate Bridge
- ↑ Oh, deer: Wildlife clogs Golden Gate Bridge
- ↑ This clip of deer running across the Golden Gate Bridge is magical
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Two Deer blocks up the Golden Gate Bridge road, causing a huge traffic jam
- ↑ Here’s Two Deer Casually Crossing The Golden Gate Bridge At Rush Hour
- ↑ 2 deer headed out of San Francisco on Golden Gate bridge snarl traffic during evening commute
- ↑ Oh dear, there's a deer on the Golden Gate Bridge
| This article uses material from the Wikipedia article 2014 Golden Gate Bridge deer crossing, that was deleted or is being discussed for deletion, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.